new dog?

conan

My lab is getting up in age 12 y/o with some health problems.
I starting to look for a new female yellow lab, but my wife isn't
thrilled about the house breaking again.

Would it be better to get a 6 month housebroken lab or
just start with a new pup? Which dog would train better and
which dog would get along with the older dog better?

My Vote is for a 49 day old Puppy....there is so much bonding that occurs from there to 6 months that You miss out huge if You don't (just working on my new Puppy as I type).

The other way to go is contact a Field Trial Pro and see if you can buy a 2 yr old Wash out. Ton of training....ready to hunt most times...over all of the Young Dog issues.

Gar

Pup for sure ! We have one and it's a joy, and that's not all Johnny... they poop and what a great lesson to teach one's kids...; )

It all depends on the time and money. A puppy will be less money but require more time and training. A 1 to 2 year old trained dog will initially cost more money but should be ready to hunt.

Some older dogs love puppies and some don't. Puppies can be relentless at pestering older dogs. Some older dogs love it, others get grumpy.

Since you are going with a lab I don't think bonding should be an issue. A well trained 1 to 2 year old lab should meet most of your hunting requirements depending on what you want.

Good luck,

Tom

if a young dog is socialized, it makes no difference if its you or someone else that had the dog during the critical times. having bought lots of dogs from questionable backgrounds, once they where socialized properly i couldnt tell the difference between dogs I had as puppys and ones I got older. They all loved me, where good citizens, and we where very much attached. having sold several dogs to people, ive never had anyone even get home with one they weren't bonded at the hip with. My 2.5 year old juice dog was over 4 months when I bought him, and the breeder had suffered a hart attack. him and his sister had been virtiually ignored. Plenty of socialization issues, but once they where worked thru, if you took juice for 20 minutes, everyone that saw ya'll would think he's your dog. His sister is my moms house dog now... she walks on hardwood floors, around $3000 rugs, and is going to compete in some horse carriage gig where you have a dog sit with you. My point is, these dogs are fantastic pets, couldnt be more into people, even with a bad start.

Decide if you want a puppy, an older dog, or a trained dog... but the bonding thing is a moot point with a lab. If socialized correctly, most any lab will bond with any person just like they have been together since birth. travis

Back