New Schellinger project

Will Roy be at the meet-up in June? I've wanted to meet with him for a few years. Will there be other Roy boats there to look at?

^ Ugh... and now this guy ^

So Darrin... when you say "look at" do you mean "look at" in a casual sense or "look at" as in a formal Coast Guard safety inspection??? Better all have your boats & trailers up to snuff at the meet-up. There goes that party...
I'm truly sorry for the OP who took the time out of his life to share a few pictures of his newly acquired duck boat on a forum called duckboats.net.

- Mike

Mike,
I truly do not understand this comment. Sounds like you have a personal beef with Darren. If so please work it out in private. I imagine there are several folks whom have never had a chance to look at a Roy boat and would enjoy doing so. I thought that was one of the goals of the get together?????

Will Roy be at the meet-up in June? I've wanted to meet with him for a few years. Will there be other Roy boats there to look at?

^ Ugh... and now this guy ^

So Darrin... when you say "look at" do you mean "look at" in a casual sense or "look at" as in a formal Coast Guard safety inspection??? Better all have your boats & trailers up to snuff at the meet-up. There goes that party...
I'm truly sorry for the OP who took the time out of his life to share a few pictures of his newly acquired duck boat on a forum called duckboats.net.

- Mike

Mike,
I truly do not understand this comment. Sounds like you have a personal beef with Darren. If so please work it out in private. I imagine there are several folks whom have never had a chance to look at a Roy boat and would enjoy doing so. I thought that was one of the goals of the get together?????

I sense cloudy with a chance of sabotage.

In my predictions I sense trouble as everyone has a hard on for these truely amazing rigs. I feel persons are out to get ones who utilize this watercraft. IMO

Thanks Buddy, it has been a tough first experience with posting on this site lol.......Talk about matches and gasoline, i just sat back and watched this thread burn lol.....But i will tell you one thing it isnt going to change my mind i love that roy boat for where i hunt. Talked to roy a few times this week getting some suggestions on how i should set it up. He is a Pretty cool guy.

John,

Welcome to the family. Many of us have been hanging out here at Eric's since the late 90's. Like most families we poke at each other when we get bored. We've also earned each others' hot buttons, which result in even better reactions when poked. Still I suspect most of us will be here in another dozen years if Eric puts up with us.

Oh yeah, congrats on the new to you boat. Hope you have a blast with her and if your planning on taking her across bigger water - do think about adding floatation. A friend of our family got pulled under by a canoe without floatation, leaving a young widow with a 3 yr old daughter. I've canoed that stretch a number of times and never thought it was dangerous. Shit does happen!

Scott

Last edited:
John, you are going to have a good time with your boat. I don't know anything about the flotation part and was not commenting on that particular issue. but later comments on this topic really made my point, and those of us that gun the Delaware bay marshes will know what I mean. Someone qustioned the ability to do 30mph on creeks. It is no problem in many of them. 95% of these creeks are un-marked and have only natural channels. That may be hard to believe for someone from New england, but if my boat went 30, there are several creeks I could open it up to that speed in, though not for great distances. I can easily go 10-12 miles at mid-tide or higher without going out on the bay. These marshes are anywhere between 1-4 miles from the bay, with creeks everywhere. They all pretty much connect if you know how to get around and understand the tides. And there are no rocks, unless somebody dumped one somewhere. There are old pilings though, but you just have to know where they are. So when I say that you can use that speed, and that it is not unsafe to do so, that is what I mean. You don't have to believe me, but most people that know those marshes will agree. I will also say that nobody runs across Delaware Bay. I am not sure how far it is to Delaware, but you can't see it across the water from where I am, so I think everybody would agree that you wouldn't be crossing the bay to go anywhere. The Delaware Bay marshes are not at all like the coastal marshes behind the barrier islands, like Barnegat or Little Egg Harbor. They might look similar on google earth, but they are way different, from the tide height to the bottom and general topography. Delaware Bay marshes have higher tides in general and are much muddier, and they have extensive mud flats, whereas the coastal marshes generally have more salt ponds and firmer footing. The marshes generally are not as deep, by that I mean in from the bay, along the coast also. The creeks in the Delaware Bay marshes tend to ultimately drain the higher ground, creeks in the coastal marshes do but also tend to generally just intersect with each other and may just traverse a marsh as opposed to draining a watershed. If you are to go up the coastal rivers, like the Mullica or Egg harbor, then that is obviously not the case, but with the marshes along the edge of the coastal bays I think that is generally true.

So.....your boat is ideally suited to and has great utility on the area you are hunting. It hides well due to it's low profile, which you really need when the water is mid-tide or higher. And if you have a 3 or 4 mile run, you can get there really fast, and even more importantly, you can get back really fast when you are cold!

Hey John how did the boat turn out. That look like one of the boats roy owned at one time. He always put "this side up" on his boats.

Back