New Skiff Project

Paul Strombeck

Picked up a skiff this morning that was originally canvas over cedar strip likely 1930ish. Prior owner stripped the hull canvas and put on a layer of glass. Based on the remaining hardware looks like the skiff had oar outriggers as well. Boat has some serious issues, split keel, loose seats, split seat, split combing auto body filler on bottom etc. I will likely just sand her down clean he up and apply a layer of cloth and epoxy.
Anybody have any thoughts on the original builder. I would guess Shell Lake??
View attachment Skiff REsized.jpg

View attachment 20150103_144922.jpg

No idea. That is the style for a shell lake but I expect there were many makers. Wouldn't a company like that have some sort of plaque on their boats

I do love the looks of those skiffs

Paul~

Another beauty! I cannot help but want one - even though I do not "need" one...

I look forward to you putting her back in shape.

SAJS

Not a shell lake. This is a strip boat construction. Shell lakes were planked over ribs on a form. As you dig through her look for builders tags on the combing or markings on the inner stems. Shoot some more pics and where the boat came from. It has fine lines but alas still an orphan.

Boat came out of northwest WI. but appears to have traveled there from the Fox River Valley - Winnebago lakes region. Once I get into it I will look for markings and tags.

Paul if that is the one I think it is (CL ad -Somerset?)

nice find, i saw that while wondering around the web and wished I could justify a 2K round trip to get it

Cool boat. I have room for one in the barn, as I've figured out a new way to store the canoes and kayaks . . . . .

You guys don't miss much. Rick is right this is the skiff advertised on CL in Somerset WI. This is about 1:45 drive time from my location.
The seller still has a square stern Shell Lake which is in excellent condition. He indicates he isn't sure if he should restore to use on the river or sell it.
I put the boat at approximately 100 lbs.

Last edited:
Neat looking old float! Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have or know where I might find a vintage handle like the one on the bow?

Brad

Neat looking old float! Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have or know where I might find a vintage handle like the one on the bow?

Brad
Brad, those handles are all over eBay... the challenge is to find it in brass or bronze! I bought a chromed one and had it powdercoated for the BBSB, but I wanted it all duckboat green....

Does anyone have, or know the existence of a lines plan for a double ended duck skiff like this one? It would be a great thing to build a replica in the woodstrip/fibreglas/epoxy method commonly used nowadays for canoes.

Bob

Back