newbee

Hi I would just like to say hi, I am new here but not to the forum world,

I mostly hunt ducks, but I do it all, My duck boat is a Hayden Scull, that I mostly use at the Salton Sea. (I have attached picture)

the opener was one that will go down in the books, it was my 14 years old daughters first year that she got to hunt so it was all about her.

she ended up only getting one but at lease she made it count, she got a Blue Wing Teel.

looking forward to reading some of your post.

On other sites I am know as Outdoorplay (ODP)

1-6-07 hunt 023 low res.jpg
1-6-07 hunt 024.jpg
opening 07 015lowres.jpg

Welcome new guy Mike. I'd love to see more pictures of the Salton Sea hunts. I was by there a couple of years ago while on family vacation and thought it looked like a pretty special place. Saw lots of bright shovelers that day as well as about a million coots. Tell your girl congrats on her first teal!

Mike Prawdzik, Yukon Territory

ok............... but you ask for it......................J/K

you must have been around Red Hill there are 10's of thousands of Hollywood mallards there.

we so shoot a lot of them, but thats normally only if its slow, they do make good sausage.....lol

we mostly should Teel, gadwalls, pintail, widgeon and mallards

I normally hunt every weekend and then on Tuesday's or Wednesday.

1-6-07 hunt 003.jpg
opening 07 002.jpg
Shot show house 018.jpg
opening 07 020lowres.jpg
1-27-07 hunt 014.jpg

Last edited:
thank you I have a lot more but I will have to resize them most are over 100kb

heres one of my other duck boat, it a Becker with a 60 Mirc. jet, that thing will flies on the water only needs about 3" of water and it works grate, but I do need a 6" to 9" to take off and get on plain. it works grate for rivers with sand bars.

our hunting here is way different then what you all are used to,
first we are hunting in 60 to 90 degree.
so more likely we are finding ways to stay cool with really light weight t-shirt and pants,
it can get colder at the end of the season, but still once the sun comes out. it should be a least 60 to 70 degree.

here are some pictures of my river duck boat

Duck Boat.jpg
Riverhunters boat.jpg

after looking at how many looked and did not say anything, was thinking to myself wow these guys must not like to compare notes................ or it was a California thing.

but it warming up.

thank you for the welcome,

Seven years. Some come and go, but a lot of guys have been here for a long time. How are the fires affecting you?

Tight Lines ... Fred

Welcome Mike.Thanks for the pics. I was reading about the Salton Sea recently. I guess the increasing salinity and pollution from the New River has done in the fishery? From your pics it looks like the waterfowl hunting is still pretty good!

they only effect me because I have a lot of friends that have had the fires knocking on there back door. I live in West Garden Grove and we where just getting a lot of smoke.

the [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Salton Sea today is still one of the best ducking location a person can go to, now its not as good as it used to be, but it is still a lot better then most places I have been to.

last year I hunted the Salton Sea 36 times and had a 4.5 bird average for the season. Our year starts off slow and then just gets better and better as the year goes on, most guys don't even start hunting tell Dec.

I belong to a few forums for different reason, one of them is Theoutdoorsforum.com, 80% of the member live in Ca. and of that 80% probably 60% of them hunt the Salton Sea.

the problem with the sea is not the pollution, its that its getting salter every day and it finally got to a level that nothing can live in, don't get me wrong the new river is polluted, but I have not see one test of the Salton Sea it self that shows that the sea is polluted.

I would like to see Mex clean up the water before the USA lets it come in, or the we put in a watter clean up plant on our sided of the border and clean that water up before it comes in....................... but that would means our government would have to say no to the Mexicans..................... and we know that wimps what lift a finger to do the right thing.

Sorry for the soap opera
[/font]

Michael,

Welcome!
Neat to hear about such a different area than where I am. What the birds in the Salton Sea feeding on? I'm guessing shrimp & algae? Are there any grassbeds, I wonder if seagrasses would grow in there or if it's too salty even for that?

I've been here since about 6 months after Eric cranked it up, around late 1997 or early 1998 if I remember correctly. Great site, stick around.

the only ducks that I know of that eat anything out of the sea are the spoonys, could not tell you what they are looking for other then some bugs, that all I have see out there.

all the other ducks go to the fresh water holding pounds and a lot of fresh water canals that feed the Salton Sea.

they eat things like chines millet, duck grasses, sunflowers, miellow and stuff like that.

Michael,

Welcome to the site. It is a great site; Eric does a fantastic job with it.

Looks like you had a heck of a day! And congrats to you daughter for 1) going hunting, and 2) for harvesting her first bird.

Craig S

Back