NOVEMBER - What's on your work bench?

Beautiful wood ducks Tom and Doug!!

Not carved by me but i have been using my old herter's to work on techniques, colors, and patterns. Most were done last month but i just got around to photographing them.

The three black ducks are cork.

Just finally finished these Jersey Coastal style Bufflehead carved out of Altantic White Cedar and hollowed. painted with artist oils. First rig of Buffleheads I have done.

10712849_722766237812786_4203853113979793358_n.jpg

Some mounts I just got back from the taxidermist the other day.

Pintail
10676361_721931704562906_7017868085234427308_n.jpg

Brant
1479474_721931781229565_2154733648382118591_n.jpg

Mark, paint looks pretty good.. When you have a hen mallard in hand, take a CLOSE look at the sides. You will notice something may be amiss, but that is just an observation thing. I still have some hens that have a similar side layout--They worked just fine!

Thanks for the advice and I think i know what you are referring to George....will try a new look and see how it turns out....

Thanks Jode!

...and they worked once for us Ed....but that retriever needs some help..lol

Thanks a lot Mark! for not getting out the camera and documenting this old man rowing a one man pontoon around in circles trying to catch a crippled Mallard! I did prevail and that duck is now in my freezer! It was definitely a team effort!

simple black duck gunning urn for a fine black dog of one of my friends. bass and oil, snuff can of secured ashes inside. I will inset the quarters from year she was born and year she was passed later this week. I have her name burned between the quarter holes. He will be able to hunt with his dog for years to come.

simpleblack_zps7f2a6906.jpg

I'm actually working on my new workbench. The house we bought 8 years ago had a 12x20 storage shed right in the middle of the back yard. Couldn't have been a worse spot. I said if I stuck with the decoy carving that I'd eventually set it up as a shop. Finally did it. Had someone come out and move it to a better location in the yard, installed a new roof, insulated, walls, new benches. Still full of my "stuff" so I've had to sort of move it back and forth as I work on different areas of the shop. Anyway, got a small section of wall to close up, install some shelving and hope to pull power next week and move in my saws, etc. Been a long time comin'. Definitely be something my two boys and I will enjoy for years to come and to get away from mama on occasion. Plus its gonna be nice to have my garage back.

2874E941-388C-4B1F-8B57-1BBCA6298254_zpsfojlbwwy.jpg

Last edited:
Well I carved this wood duck before the summer and was experimenting with new patterns. After all was carved and put together the bill looks wayyyy too droopy, but I decided to paint it anyway for practice.

fourbills_zps80a2fdaf.jpg

true gunners out of bass and oil. taking them to Illinois in a couple weeks. Tim S, Jim W and I get a hen each and Brandon Y (odd man) chose a drake. I will rig them prior to arrival and hopefully Mr. Jim will allow them to be added to the rig for the shoot.

Tom,
Those look even better on the large screen. If you like I can bring the long line of bills down that I have been running all season. Its all decoys from Duckboat members I have traded for or purchased.

Sorta Duck related.

My daughter moved into a new, (to them), home this past spring. In the purchase agreement, the previous owner was to remove the fireplace mantel and take it with her because of it's sentimental value. When my daughter and Son-in-Law moved into the house, I was subtly "voluntold" to build her a new mantel.

While spending a few months doing plenty of "Daddy-do" things around her house, painting, flooring, new roof with tear off, and on and on, I thought about exactly what to do with the mantel. Then an idea hit me- why don't I get HER opinion! After a while she sent me several photos of rustic, very simple rough-sawn mantels. I was figuring on doing something really fancy with plenty of mouldings- crown, dentil, and the like in an ornate show of artistic craftsmanship. Obviously when she said she wanted something simple and rustic, I had to change my thinking.

Here's the Duck related part- while Duck hunting on opening day at my favorite little Marsh, it hit me. This property I'm writing about, is actually a club grounds on which my kids grew up on. We all spent many a day "down there" for functions ranging from Dog Shows, to Field Trials, to graduation parties, weddings, and all kinds of functions, and even a little camping, shooting, hunting and fishing. Anyways, while hunting, I noticed a few dead pine trees at the edge of the water. When I finished up, I wandered over to check them out. I figure these still standing trees have been dead for several years. Devoid of limbs and bark, yet solid and in pretty good shape. Perfect for a new rough-sawn mantel I thought. In fact, I could kill two birds with one stone, as I am also in need of a few rough-sawn beams at our house too. Over the summer, I constructed a new roof structure over our rear entrance door. I wanted to use rough sawn Cedar for a post and beam look, then I priced it and got sticker shock! I proposed this idea to my Daughter, who emphatically agreed it would be great to have some of this wood with such sentimental value to her. Then to add even more sentiment, the gentleman who sawed them up for us, also sells us our Christmas Trees every year. He's a really sweet older retired aged gentleman who just loves my daughter, and she adores him.

Pines are off to the left-

Photo0874.jpg

A couple weeks ago, I commandeered my Son-in Law for some additional muscle, loaded the chain saw and related tools into my pick up and motored down to the "Dog Club". It didn't take me long to cut down and size up what I needed for this little project. To make it even more sweet, the little old tree man agreed to meet me that same afternoon to take them off my hands.

The following Saturday, I went and picked up the beams and posts. He was even kind enough to hack out the brackets for me after I drew the design. I took them home, unloaded into the shop. Then sorted thru to pick out the mantel piece. After getting the stain color approved, I stained and applied a couple coats of polyurethane to it and the brackets.

This afternoon, after a mildly successful Duck Hunting outing, I installed the pieces.

I wanted to hide the mounting bolts without plugs, so this is what I came up with. Key-slots and holes large enough behind them for the wrench to tighten. These hole produced a LOT of sawdust!

2014-11-23145513.jpg

To install, all I had to do was layout it all out, drill, start the LDTs, fit the brackets, tighten the LDTs, then place the mantel on top. I then drilled thru the mantel and installed a couple 5" screws to hold it all together.

2014-11-23161246.jpg

My daughter is ecstatic over the whole ordeal, especially given the story behind it all. It does look pretty nice, and it fits into her décor nicely. AND she said, if SHE ever moves, this mantel will go with her to the new home!

Thanks for looking,

Jon

Back