NYS Gun Laws

Capt Rich Geminski said:
Threaded barrel is not NYS compliant...
Correct, and despite the MP22 having a threaded barrel that IS tack welded with a threaded tube over it, rendering it inaccessible, the MP22 is not available to me in western Suffolk, but it IS allowed to you in Eastern Suffolk as per conversation with Sheriff that is in charge of your region.

As Rick said it is county by county in NYS. I have an unrestricted CC , I can travel to any county except the 5 . I find it unfair that I can go to other counties and have more rights than land owners in that county. but that's the way it's set up. Some counties are much harder than here in the far north (Franklin County) I have been a reference for a few , the main questions NYS police ask is are you a wife beater? A drunk? or drug addict? It takes a long time in some counties because the interview and back round check is done on the investigators off time,then it goes to the judge who has a lot on his or her plate. When I took my multi-state I was instructed to never drive through New Jersey , especially in a hatch back or pick up. Pistol needs to be in a locked case , in the trunk to travel through otherwise I think it's a 2 year in the clink

J. Overland said:
I got my NY pistol permit several years ago. It was a fairly intense and expensive process. Several letters of recommendation (each notarized), electronically fingerprinted (even though my fingerprints are already on file from professional licenses...$$$), many-hour in-person course (entirely useless), detailed letter explaining why I feel I have the need to have a pistol, appearance before a Supreme Court judge to explain why I feel I have a need for a handgun and answer all of his questions, more wait time, then given a restricted license which allows me to purchase and carry a pistol to and from the range with no stops in between. This is because it is entirely random which judge handles your application. The judge I was assigned has never once given anyone a full carry permit at initial request.

Then I had to wait several months, take a NRA-approved live-fire course ($$$ and largely useless), write another letter to the judge, and was finally granted full carry. Now when I want to purchase a new handgun I must go through a lengthy process (up to 6 months) where the judge must personally approve the addition of the firearm to my permit (plus a small processing fee), then a visit to the county sheriff's office to update my license.

I have an absolutely 100% squeaky clean record. Not even a speeding ticket. I consider myself an upstanding citizen. This is simply par for the course in the county in which I reside.

Then the actual carry restrictions in NY are very prohibitive and difficult to understand for most. One example is no entry to any government building with a handgun. Highway rest areas such as on the Thruway are government buildings. No stopping there if you have a handgun.

Good way to keep guns away from criminals as they won?t go through the time or expense.

Mark

Thanks for the clarification Cristoph. On my future trips through NYC to and from Maine, I'll be sure to lock my shotguns up.

Matt

Back