old duck boats out of reach

Rick L

some times I get a little jealous of you guys on the other end of the great lakes - I poke around different area's sales ad sites

and it seems to be that the Wisconsin and areas around there have the greatest old duck boats for sale

like this one

00X0X_ho9C4ze9YrX_600x450.jpg

you greedy hunters out there kept them all for yourselves didn't you lol

i keep trying to think of how to get one here- postage and handling would be a killer

i do enjoy seeing them when someone digs one out and shows it on the board, if you have restored one of the old ones and have not posted it- please do

Last edited:
Good morning, Rick~

As it turns out, I will be looking at a few vintage gunning boats later this week. Stay tuned for more info.....

All the best,

SJS

Rick - For many years all you had to do was go to the old Westlake, Ohio show, and they would be there for sale. Wonderful marsh boats. I always wanted a wooden one, but have had a fiberglass one since 1984. Duck Killin' Machines are what they are.

Christopher Columbus Smith (Chris-Craft) got into the boat business in 1874, selling double end duck boats. He made mighty fine decoys also. Both have been on my "If I ever hit the Powerball" list.

Looks like a Shell Lake boat. Nice condition. I reconditioned one that had already been glassed over. Neat to learn how they were built and the effort that went into each. I am told there were metal molds in which steamed wood was laid and nails would bend against the mold to fasten wood tightly. Then canvas/lead paint over that. One boat yard in Stillwater, MN for sure built theirs this way. Very similar to the Shell Lake model pictured above.

Good stuff.

Vince - Agreed the Christopher Columbus Smith Dekes are cool. I'd argue the small double end boats have been valuable to Duck Hunters for a long time.

Derek

Yes I thought it looked like a shell lake as well. I have only seen them in pictures and do not remember one with oar locks

The build process sounds similar to a canoe. Which makes sense. I have restored a 1928 wood and canvas Old Town sailing canoe that was in rough shape. It was a fun project.

This boat has everything going for it but location

I would need to send another project or two down the road to make room even if I could justify a 26 hour round trip. Lol

Still fun to look

I saw that boat on Craigslist. It's about an hour away. When I was growing up my grandparents had a house trailer on a lake in WI that was a big waterfowl hunting lake on the Fox River. I remember plenty of old wooden duck boats sitting in the weeds getting rotten. I also remember the wooden decoys stored under some of the cottages.

I used to have a boat exactly like that
a 6" diameter oak branch off of a nearby tree, smashed it into pieces right next to the shed
they are great boats, could hunt/drift two guys and gear

Back