One more Texas rig question

Mark W

Last question. Anyone using the 400lb mono line in the rig? If so, how does this work? Kink? Take on a shape? Work in very cold weather? Clear or colored?

Thanks everyone.

Mark W

I've tried it and didn't like it as well as the clear tanglefree line. It's been awhile since I did and in all honesty I can't be as specific as I would like, but as I remember it would kink and was just not as friendly as the tanglefree. Not the best of explanations but bottom line is I personally prefer the tanglefree. I also rig with the weight at one end and the loop at the other so the decoy slides down onto the weight when you grab the loop. I've tried the weight and loop at same end. I like the loop by the decoy so I can pick them up without getting my hands wet. Just my preference.

Thanks. Yeah I've decided the loop at the opposite end of the weight is the way to go. Keeps my hands warmer. I may just reuse my current tanglefree lines and weights and jut put a loop in the one end. Does the tanglefree keep a loop?

Mark W

I use the metal crimps they sell. Not the plastic ones. You can do an overhand loop but it is easiest for me to use the crimps for both the loop and the anchor.

And the tanglefree holds the loop shape? Guess that is what I was asking. It isn't as stiff as the 400lb mono.

Thanks again for the help - appreciated.

Mark W

i use it on all my decoys & espically like it for my diver rig, 7' of line & 9oz weights holds herters 72's in all but white caps, i dont wrap the line just keep the decoys in the front of the boat loose & makes putting out & picking up a hundred decoys a breeze. i can in the same time most others take to do 2doz. but it does kink so keep the knots out & it'll last for years.

Yes I use that. I have the clear but I actually like the black better. Only downside is it has some memory to it. I like to tie a dozen decoys together to keep them a little more organized in the bag, if l leave them this way for a few days the line wont be straight. Hang them from a hook in the garage during the off-season and you'll be just fine.
Before I switched over I put a few feet in the freezer for 2 weeks and tried to break it, couldn't even with a hammer.

Back