Optics Suggestions ???

Fred

Rick Kytes riffle question has me thinking you guys could help me out with optics. Looking for a riffle scope and binoculars. Scope will be used for deer and pigs in the west in sage brush and forest environment. Binoculars will be used for deer and ducks. So water proof or resistant needed plus ability to use in low light situations.

Thanks in Advance.

Tight Lines ... Fred

Fred,for night vision optics you need a 7mm exit pupil,ie a 7 X 50 binocular and a scope that will give you the same results such as a 6 power scope with a 42mm objective lense.A 3 to 9 varible power scope will cover all situations for hunting.I would go lower rather than higher,like a 11/2 v 7.Now you still need a reticle that you can see in low light conditions.You can buy scopes with illuminated reticles(I haven't used one),or you need a reticle that stands out in low light conditions.That's what the european multi cross hair was designed for.You don't see the fine cross hair in the center portion,but the heavy vertical and horizontal cross can bracket the animal for an effective shot.Buy the best you can afford.I notice that it is rare for most catalogs to show a 7X50 or 8X56 binocular lately,but the marine catalogs,like West or Hamilton carry them.On the scope,I would explore all the ones with an illuminated reticle.The few I've seen are auto illuminating in low light conditions.They also have binoculars with stability control,that's needed in any power above 7-8 for long range work.

Last edited:
Fred,

Go here: http://www.eagleoptics.com/ for any information on binoculars. They also have a very good Buyer's Guide on the upper right hand corner of the site where you can read the Technical Guide to Optics here: http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=27&subtype=92&purch=0

Though Joe is correct, in theory, about the higher number of objective lens controlling the light gathering capabilities for your eye, in the real world it doesn't work that way. How you are able to use a pair of binoculars is very dependent on how old you are believe it or not. The way your eye dialates is the controlling factor. Read the Technical Guide I mentioned above and it will give you as much information as you will need.

There have been great strides in binoculars over the past 20 years. Now, most of the higher end binoculars are waterproof. When I selected my Swarovskis back in 1995 I went to the store at dusk on a rainy night and tried all the high end binoculars outside so I could see the difference in the conditions I would be using them. My 7x42 Swarovskis are perfect for what I use them for.

All so keep in mind that binoculars with large objective lenses are appropriately large and heavy. Take your time and you will end up with a fine instrument that will last you the rest of you life.

Pete

I believe I read the human eye can't use more than a 5 exit pupil. Exit pupil of scopes and binos are figured by dividing the power into the objective lens (8x40 = 5). The illuminated cross hairs I have looked through tend to obscure the target because of a "shine".If you are shooting late enough to need lighted cross hairs, a million candle power rechargeable spotlight would work better...then you could see the cross hairs against the hair on the animal.;)
I have had a pair of Steiner Bighorn 9x40 binos for over 10 years and love them. Now that I wear glasses, they are still very good. I can actually adjust them so I see better than with my glasses.

I have used many optics but have come to accept Leupold as the best for your/my money, yes I know it's a lot of money. They have brought out some less expensive stuff that carries the same warranty though. I use Nikon binos 8X40 I think a well as their 400 yard range finder. Optics on the Nikon are OK but not the best I've used. I really like the steiners I've looked through as well as you can never go wrong with swarovski or zeiss, big money though. I had my hands on one pair of Leupolds new binos and for the money I would say they are better than the Nikons I use.

I have a leupold 6.5-20 on my 270 and hunt everything with it. That's ME, most people are not comfortable with that much scope. I've spent countless hours behind a 20x scope on a target rifle so I'm a little conditioned to it. I think a 3-9 is always a great choice. My 270 had a fixed 6X on for years and I always liked it. Bushnell is a great starting point for a quality scope at a good price.

If you can go to a large gun shop or show and try to look through as many as you can. Don't buy the first trip or second, maybe the third time you'll be ready to buy. Once you know what you want price it on the internet, there are lots of great deals out there to be had.

Best wishes,
Gene

Rick Kytes riffle question has me thinking you guys could help me out with optics. Looking for a riffle scope and binoculars. Scope will be used for deer and pigs in the west in sage brush and forest environment. Binoculars will be used for deer and ducks. So water proof or resistant needed plus ability to use in low light situations.

Thanks in Advance.

Tight Lines ... Fred

Pete's advice is worth its weight in gold if you want to learn what quality is. The only way to decide is by looking yourself.

Fred, I agree w/ all above statements. Check out abunch of companies before buying. Then internet shop, watch though so are reconditioned. One thing about going to stores is, Realize that they make stores the most optimal lighting inside. Even a poor optics will look good inside. You may have to go to a corner gun store where you can step outside w/ salesman to truely see comparisions. I just purchased a 4.5x14 Cabelas guideseries for $209 on sale around X-MAS they are now $399 and was very impressed. So much so that I bought another for my sons 270wsm also. Bushnell is a good starting point w/ price and model IMO. Trophy series and up that is. I enjoy good optics but I have ahard time putting $500 plus scopoe on a gun that isn't custom made. Binos though you will need sturdy construction. Think of how much they get knocked around compared to your gun. At least mine do.
Just my 2 cents
Gene R.

Fred,I believe you have received all the info you will need to choose your equipment.I have no clue how old you are,but don't handicap yourself with a glass that only gives you a 5mm exit pupil,when your eye dialates to 7mm for the next 25 years.If I see an animal at night with my 7X50s and can't make out the antlers,I hand the glass to my 21 year old grandson,If he can count the points,I know that my eyes aren't opening the way they use to.

Thanks guys,

That's the information I was looking for. Will start doing the homework and figure out what I need and can afford. Did not know age would come into play, but it makes sense. I'll be 52 in a month.

Tight Lines ... Fred

If you are looking for suggestions about which manufacturer, here are some that I have had personal experience with. Leupold varilux series- great price on the lower high end quality. Bushnell elite- excellent scope in my opinion, some models like the 4200 come in firefly reticle, also along the lines of leupold but it has better fog protection. The ones I described are 249-300.00 range. I once went crazy and spent my money on a zeiss conquest before my eyesight went south. It was a high end optic, and I can honestly say you get what you pay for. The only advantage I could tell from my bushnell was the long distance focus was so crisp you make out a animal at that blue light moment. It wasn't like looking at a form, you could see the crisp outline. The key to all optics in the dusk dawn isn't the price,or the name, it's the light transmission. Fully multi coated optics are supposed to gather more light and reduce stray light causing the blurr. The key to transmission is the quality of the glass. The higher the transmission the clearer the scope. I think leupold and the bushnell elite is 95% light transmission. The zeiss was 98% I THINK. I dont have the scope or paperwork anymore. It ultimately comes down to budget, need, and useability. Research all of the optics in your price range and choose one that will meet all of your needs, is nitrogen filled, has fully multi coated lenses, and preferably a one piece tube with a warranty. -Les

I don't have the experience to argue with you all, and if I were a major big game hunter (or a tactical shooter) and/or spent a ton on my rifle gear I might feel differently.

However, I think you can get a decent scope for under $200. Maybe not the best in world or anything, but decent optics with good light gathering abilities. For about $149 I picked up a Nikon buckmasters 3-9 x 40 that does a decent job.

For binoculars, again not great, but good enough, I have a pair of low end Brunton 10x40s and a set of compact Steiners 8x42 (maybe?).

I use a Nikon 440 laser rangefinder too, again, not the greatest, but it will tell me how far away a tree is so I have an idea when a deer is near that tree, it is in good bow range.

If you have a ton of money to spend on this stuff, I don't see any reason not to, but I just think it is possible to get "good" for not a ton of money and have it be good enough for most hunting situations. It doesn't have to be the world's best to put meat in the freezer.

Keep in mind I don't need to spend all day glassing like some of you guys. I use mine to get a little better look at what I can't see well with my naked eye.

Just another perspective...

Charlie

This was my year for educating myself on and upgrading my binoculars. I spent a lot of time in the hunting optics section of 24campfire.com and the binocular section of birdforum.net. If you think we obsess about duck boats and decoys, you should read the heated debates between the Leica and Swarovski guys. I caught the bug bad and now own a Nikon 10x42 SE, Leica Ultravid 8x42 and Leupold 6x30 Yosemite. That little Yosemite and it's 8x30 bigger brother are real giant killers at about $90.00. Spend some time over on those tow sites and all of your optical questions will be answered, though you might spend more money than you were planning to.
John

I used to have a set of 7x35 Bushnell spectators that had a button on each side..you would push it and the lenes would pop out for farther..and push them in for nearer. Those things were amazingly clear until the spring or catch broke on one side..then I gave them to the kids to play with. My buddy Bezubic bought a pair of Nikon "waterproof" 10x50's that were clear as a bell till they fell in the water the first day he used them....filled with water and swamp goo in about two seconds...heh heh heh...I guess it takes a doctorate degree to come up with the new cuss phrases he was spewing.

one word........... leupold their new vx-7 is equal to anything swarovski puts out, about similar in price to. they have a wide variety of scopes, range finders and binoculars. my dad has all leupold on our guns and so do i. never have experienced a single problem with any of them. ive had bushnells and had problems with the gun shooting right or left of center when the variable dial moved in those directions. leupold also stands by their products and if anything is found to be defective they replace the product for free or if possible fix it for free. there are also a lot of used leupolds out there that are still in great shape and for fractions of the cost of new ones.

eddie

Back