Out of Ideas - need flexable strap/pole for blind

Larry J

I'm all out of ideas. Anyone know where I can get a flat flexable strap about 1 inch wide and 4 ft long (50 inches long would be better) that will bend about 90 degrees without breaking and spring back when released. it's going to be used as a spring to open the top of my blind..and if it works I'll post some pics. thanks.

How heavy is the top of the blind? You might find a piece of flat fiberglass that would do the trick OR how about an old fishing pole? The other option would take a bit of jury rigging but would definately spring open is a spring off of a conibear trap like a 330. Check out places that have tractor parts - there must be a spring steel thingy someplace on a tractor or farm equipment that would work.

ive given this alot of thought. heres my two cents Im not putting a spring lid in my blind couse quick spring action will flare ducksand anything going out or open will as well i think somthing that falls in would create less flaring action.
But my ideas too get a flip top lid was gonna be bungee cords set too be under tension in the closed position and when released would fly backtoo open have too be carful with bungee length here too not have flap come back on you. I was gonna use fishing bungee the surgical tubing type stuff and snap like on a coat attatched too nylon webbing rigged too the boat just my 02 let me know what you decide and if flaring becomes a problem or not

you could probably use an extension spring. when you bend it, it will want to spring back to rigid/straight.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.aspx?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=1153&CtlgEdition=113&fam=extension&ppe=75&ppr=1&psm=2&psl=6&sesnextrep=850753977342945&ScreenWidth=1400&McMMainWidth=902

they have up to 36" in a variety of sizes, probably make up the length diff with some dowel rod or something

Check out the flat fiberglass boat cover bows supports at one of the marine stores. I am not sure of the full flexibility you want, but they are about 1 inch wide.

I think I know what you mean. Why not just use a bungie cord? Thats what I have used in the past. Great thing about a bungie cord is that once the blind lid is shut the 90 degree angle acts as a resistance to the tension so you don't really need a lot of force to keep the blind shut. Once you push up however the bungie kicks in and trust me.. it opens fast. Do not pop out when someone is behind the blind... Ouch. Bungie is also More compact when travelling. Another option is coil spring hinge. like you see on a mouse trap but rigged in reverse to snap open vs closed. Problem is that you need a good deal of force to keep blind closed (just like a catapult type spring would)

LARRY, MY OLD BLIND SET-UP USED SPRING LOADED CABINET HINGES. THIS WAS NOT A LID DESIGN BUT A FOLDING SIDE PANEL. HOWEVER, IT DOES'NT TAKE MUCH FORCE AT ALL TO ACTIVATE THE HINGES AND ONCE IN MOTION THEY OPEN FULLY. THEY ARE A BIT PRICY AT ABOUT $5. PER HINGE BUT THEY WORK GREAT AND ARE ALUMINUM SO THEY WON'T RUST.

Back