Painting old outboads

Tim B(tbrom)

I have a 1974 2hp johnson and a vintage 1961 3hp evinrude for my sneak. The the johnson has problems starting in the cold weather while the evinrude fires up easily. I need to paint the evinrude to be more concealed but I am having a hard time covering a nice 50+ year old original paint job!

Tim
I have a 1960 3hp Evi that I just couldn't paint. A cheap decoy bag and raffia zip tied to it and you're all sett.

There is no feeling quite as liberating as taking a spray gun full of Parker's to a shiny outboard. But then again I'm not a very nostalgic person.

On newer ones I shake, rattle and spray but on a nice old one I would use a cover OR camo duct tape pieces of baling twine and let them fray out. I used to tape up dirt bikes that I raced to preserve the paint for resale. You should see my 4 wheeler!! but the paint underneath is like new

There's a nice shiny Yamaha underneath this burlap and bungee cord.

I bought the camo burlap from macks and used hot glue to make it into a motor cover, has held up well for a couple seasons now. Then I wrap a 48" bungee cord around it and grass it in.

Screenshot2013-11-29-10h38m15s231-Version2.jpg

Last edited:
Tim: Painting that old timer might lower the value of it's kind since it is a vintage model.I have new 25 hp yamaha and could not bring myself to camo painting it.Insted I purchased 2- russian duffel bags from sportsmans guide and unstiched the long seam 3/4 of the way up and camo painted it with rustolium spray paint and stich tied some killer weed grass that Ibought from Mac's Prairy Wings cat. It's held on by pungy cords.This is it's 3rd year in use and gets better looking with age.

Fast drying rattle can auto primer can be wiped off with laquer thinner. You could do a test wipe on the motor you want to camo. If laquer thinner doesn't effect it you could do a temporary camo job.

I must be missing something. Old outboards, partiularly old outboards used in saltwater have very low resale values. As someone already stated, Camo clad is a good way to go to preserve your twinge of nostalgia on these powerheads.

I am in the "cover it up" camp - but I did paint my 9.9 Evinrude (1999?) - mostly because it was pretty beat up when I bought it. I used a spray metal primer (grey) then brushed on Parkers. (I think prop and extension handle are a Rustoleum spray camo.) As you can see, I did not bother with the mounting bracket - too much work to disassemble, de-grease, etc, and whole OB has a new Sunbrella cover - with sat hay.

Evinrude99-painted-small_zps876a9b77.jpg

Back in the days when burlap bags were available, I would split one side and lash some salt hay to it.

All the best,

SJS

I dug out an old burlap bag and am going to give it a try. I have several sheets of camo clad also. That will be my second option. I have thought of repainting in the old ducktwin colors but again I hate to paint it. I really paid next to nothing for the motor$80 +$20 for a carb kit. It didnt run the points were too corded. Cleaned them and checked the coils and it runs great. I may get the wife to sew up a couple covers. I have some snow camo and some other material left over from campers curtains. Thanks for the ideas!

Last edited:
not as old as yours mine is an 88 but she was in showroom condition, just painted her with krylon camo paint

photo1_zps391327c2.jpg
[/URL]
photo_zps30cab3d2.jpg
[/URL]

Camo spare tire cover. You can find these for less than $5.00 at many places. They fit perfect and have a nice piece of elastic all around to hold it in place.

Mark W

There used to be a decoy and gear place located in Maine that I bought a cordura cover from for a new 8 horse after my wife vetoed painting it like I did my old 20 Merc mounted with a Riffle Runner. When I opened the box they had sent me two, and I still have them; they worked just as well on my 9-5 Evinrude and my 50-Yamaha jet. But way down deep inside I like the idea of drab-painted motors to match the boats they propel...

You seem to really like your motor's original paint, so that doesn't seem to be an option. I have used a piece of camo burlap for years, it is really inexpensive, you are talking literlly a couple of bucks. I leave it in the bottom of the boat and throw it over the motor when I get to where I am setting up. If it is windy I just drop it in the water and get it wet first, it's not going anywhere. If it is frozen I just drop it in the water and let it thaw. You can fold it or roll it up to stash it out of the way when not using it. I like simplicity in my boat, and a square of this is the easiest thing you'll find.

Back