Pheasant hunting with the grandson.

Mike Sheppard

I decided to take my grandson out for a first time pheasant hunt after a disappointing duck season.
The land I farmed for 25 years was converted to a game farm after I quit farming. I was unenthusiastic about hunting pen raised birds but it's getting very hard to find land to hunt pheasants in our area.
The boy is 16 and still willing to hunt with the "old guys" so we went for it.
On the plus side the birds were easy to photograph and he was able to watch a good dog in action.
My first pheasant hunt at age 16 is still vivid in my memory so I hope I've planted some seeds for the future.
View attachment 20191231_102938.jpg
View attachment 20191231_102445.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos, looks a little chilly!

I've hunted put&take pheasants a few times, always found it to be a good time with family & dogs.
And they sure are good eats too...

That's great! I hope your son falls in love with upland hunting and sticks with it

Very nice. Getting a young man hooked on bird dogs and flushing roosters is always a good thing.
I'm a bit of a pheasant snob but understand that in some areas a preserve hunt is the best/only option. Not a bad way to start out a hunter.

Tim

Thanks,
He loved it.
After looking at the picture with the rooster flushing I realized that I could see the house I grew up in in the background.
And that is the exact spot where I shot many a rabbit and jumped not a few coveys of quail with my single shot .410 in my early teen years.

Bang ZOOM!

We used to have a pheasants forever deal in Vancouver along the the lower columbia. I hunted it until i thought my legs would fall off.
most days we could spend a couple 3 hours and get our birds.

it was a pretty good deal, there were usually birds to be had, and the cover was good with marsh, and some cut corn and some still standing. Lots of blackberry thickets and ponds and sloughs.

Swamp roosters we called them.

Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters

Options : History : Feedback : DonateClose
View attachment 85wa5.jpg
Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu

AfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu
Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters

Options : History : Feedback : DonateClose

Last edited:
Back