Pick my next boat

Jarod Miller

New member first post. I am looking on purchasing a skiff for next years duck season. I have it narrowed down to 3

Hoefgen Duck Boat in kevlar
Windward Boatworks The Duck Stalker
Carsten Pintail

Last season I hunted out of a 15' Coleman ram-x canoe. The bottom looked like a washboard and not enjoyable to hunt out of. It took a lot of paddling to gain a small amount of distance

I will be hauling myself 5'7" 175 an 70-80 lb dog and about 2 doz decoys. I'd like something that glides smooth and straight and under 100 lbs.

The Duck Stalker and Pintail I can get locally. It's about a 3 hr one way trip for the Hoefgen. I'm located near Stevens Point WI. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Hoefgen

Jarod

Jarod,

I have a friend south of you in Monroe with a Carsten. He hasn't hunted for a few years and would be willing to sell. Not sure what model. If you're interested PM me and I'll get more information. He keeps all his equipment in mint condition. Jim

My only issue is the Pintail is listed 35lbs heavier than the other boats. I've scratched momarsh and four rivers from the list due to weight being close to 100 lbs and carrying capacity around 350lbs

Hoefgen all the way. I have the fiberglass version and at 65 lbs it is on the heavy side of boats I want to drag around. I've been in the Carstens products and they are built like a tank and unfortunately have the weight that goes along with it - IMO. Only negative on the Hoefgen is it is hard to get on top of a vehicle due to the design. It is impossible to flip onto your shoulders or upside down and put on top of a car. The way the cockpit is makes the weight sit outside of where you can grab and flip. Hard to explain but it is difficult to do. Hoefgen paddles straight and glides easily with a kayak paddle (get a good paddle and one long enough), and is very stable. Tipped mine once due to my negligence (running downstream in the dark and hit a log sideways - didn't flip thank God but close)

I would say a boat more similar to the Hoefgen and similar in weight is the Fiberdome product also built in Wisconsin.

Ron Schuna who frequents this site just picked up a Kevlar Hoefgen late last year. He is in the process of redoing a couple of things. He is east of Hudson Wisconsin. Maybe he would let you take a look first before you decide. Or, if you are ever near St. Paul you can take my fiberglass version out for a paddle.

Weight really does matters in these type of boats. If you have to drag or carry anywhere, to me 65lbs is about all I can handle. Dragging weight through muck stinks (in more ways than one) and light in the water paddles so much easier. I've gone even lighter this upcoming season and went with a 22lb Poke boat. We will see ho this works out for me.

Any q's on the Hoefgen give me a shout. I'll send Ron a note and he will respond as well I am certain.

Mark W

Last edited:
I agree with comments above that for your intended use, weight is a key factor. I've never paddled a Hoefgen, but from what I've read here, it would a good light-weight choice for a marsh boat.

It sounds like the Hoefgen suits your needs better, but just in case you want another option:

As canoes go, those Coleman's are about as bad as it gets: heavy, not very seaworthy, and slow. There are lots of better canoe options that would be in the same price range or cheaper than your Hoefgen.
Advantages of a canoe--narrow beam helps with navigating tight channels or trails; easy to hide; center thwart makes overland portage easier than a kayak or boat like the Hoefgen. (Comments above about car-topping would apply to portage as well.)

Disadvantages of a canoe--narrow beam can mean less stability, especially with dogs not trained to sit still on the center line. Less capacity for gear. Not well suited for shooting from the boat. Difficult to "brush up"--though you can get creative with bungee cords and cloth cockpit covers.

In Kevlar or a light fiberglass lay-up you should be able to get a 15'-16' canoe--plenty for you, your dog and decoys--well under 50 pounds. 17' would add only a little weight and work for you, the dog and a buddy. For less money you can find used Royalex boats at 60-70 pounds. Royalex is off the market, so there are no new ones unless you get lucky and find one left over. Stay away from the rotomolded plastic boats which are heavy and tend to warp with use, as you've seen with your Coleman.

Thanks for all the info. I've also been looking at canoes for the past year. The royalex canoes I've been coming across people want a mint for them same goes for used wenonah canoes . The boat will be transported in the back of my truck, about 80% of the time I can back the truck up to the boat launch and slide the skiff onto the water, other spots I will be using a canoe cart. I can sacrifice some weight for a boat that tracks and glides well without a whole lot effort of paddling. I'll add the fiberdome widgen to my list as well.

Jarod,

There are plenty of boats of similar design to what you are looking for in Northern WI and Green Bay Craigslist if you search for: duck skiff. Last year I sold a beautiful Carstens Pintail when I came across a Kevlar Hoefgen. I had a deal fall through on the same exact Hoefgen a year before and ended up buying it from the guy that bought it out from under my deal. So....not knowing the deal would happen, I contacted Hoefgen and that was last fall the week before Thanksgiving. Mr. Hoefgen (I believe his first name is Paul) said he could make me a glass or Kevlar boat and that if I wanted one, I could put a deposit and my boat would be ready by summer of 2016. So understand these are made one at a time and if you want one, get on the books asap with Mr. Hoefgen. My kevlar is 45 lbs. I can get it flipped over and on to the roof of my truck alone. Key reason to own one. The bottom design is similar to the lines of a canoe. So if you're inclined to consider a canoe, if you can't get a Hoefgen for this season and you can find a Michicraft 13', you may be happy with that route. 42" wide beam offers plenty of stability as far as canoes go. A favorite of several hunting buddys and a cousin.

Thanks for all the info. I've also been looking at canoes for the past year. The royalex canoes I've been coming across people want a mint for them same goes for used wenonah canoes .

Another reason I am glad to live where I do. A market where decent used canoes are hard to find or expensive would really hurt. LOL.

Jarod,
I agree with others that the Hoefgen duck boat is a great skiff. I have used mine as a layout in some rough water and stay dried.
If you search hard, there is a fiberglass Hoefgen for sale out there.

Last edited:
If you are considering canoes, I would look at Golden Hawk canoes. They are made in WI. My Golden Hawk is light weight and very stable. If you are planning to hunt from the boat I would suggest a good skiff. If you are planning to use the boat to haul gear and access hunting spots I would get a good canoe.

Last edited:
I'd second Mark's comments. A friend has a Fiberdome they did for him in Kevlar. If you plan on paddling your boat those two are good choices.
I have a Momarsh Dp ,nice stable boat and great with a small motor but slow. Most places I hunt don't allow motors, the extra time needed to get to a far spot is considerable.

Good luck!

Just want to thank everyone for the info. As much as I wanted a Hoefgen skiff a fellow member gave me a lead on a pintail for a price I couldn't say no to

Jarod

Jarod ,

I hunt in a 14 foot Great Canadian canoe ,( that is what Scott Farris uses ) it is wide i believe 47 inches and stable as anything out there . Last season i tried out a kayak paddle and it worked great to move that boat with 2 doz decoys into a few swamps we hunt. Good Luck and be safe

Back