pics/lesson and a couple surprizes

Dick Sargeant

Guys - Tried to run some new gear today. Reviewing the shots reminded me that, no matter how good your equipment, no matter how many you take - if the set up +/or light is wrong results will not be great. Couldn't get into a spot where I could shoot with the sun mostly behind me due to ice, parking and private property. In addition I had problems with glare and back lighting but I did get a few surprizes..... First one is a what's that duck ?

0083a.jpg

You see the wierd light colored cross of something..... here's a view taking off

0084a.jpg

Something scared the ducks, and when I saw what it was I was very excited

010a.jpg

Wish it was closer, I knew these were around but never had a chance to shoot one flying. Then down in front of me up pops what I thought had to be an otter because I was close to the mouth of the Merrimack...........but it looks like a beaver ......in the marsh ???

304a.jpg

I do get one shot of a duck that I liked ...........

195a.jpg

Gotta find a better place to set up on this spot.

sarge

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
but I had no idea they got that big.

Just how big was/is it? hard to get perspective from the photo. Did you see the tail at all? Muskrat has a long round skinny hairless tail.
[/font]

Hi Dave - I would say at least a foot long not counting the tail. I didn't see the tail but did see a swirl behind it from the tail whan it swam off. Muskrat makes sense.
thanks -
sarge

The duck looks like it is a mallard lacking some pigments. It could be a natural mutation but much more likely is it has some park duck in its recent past. There are several breeds of buff domestic duck that look like that. They are very pretty birds. If call ducks were legal I'd have a pair of buff calls.

I think Dave is right that it is a muskrat, they can be 3 or 4 pounds. They aren't rat sized despite the name. I've never had it happen to me but have been very close to ice shacks that have had them come up a hole. Grown men have been known to run out in the cold screaming.
If you start seeing 10lb or larger 'muskrats' you have a problem known as a Nurtia. I'm sure they will get to you if you have some marshes stay open all winter.

Tim

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
I've never had it happen to me but have been very close to ice shacks that have had them come up a hole. Grown men have been known to run out in the cold screaming.

Oh ya!! This can be very startling when it happens. When you are in a one man fold up portable, there is no where to hide.

Fortunately the muskrat is just as concerned about getting back down the hole, as you are, that he accomplishes that task.
[/font]

Tim, Mike, Tom and Jim - Thanks - I just went over to google and I think Jim has it right and from what I read, a fairly rare condition - wish the shot was better. If I get a better shot of that bird I will post it.
sarge

Curious, but does anyone think the bill color is more suggestive of a Black Duck? I assume any species can have a leucistic variant. Saw a report of a leucistic gadwall. Very interesting bird.

it is a nutria, the head to body proportion is not right for a muskrat, and based on the size description you gave, it is too large.

Kris - I don't think we have those in MA- aren't they down south ? I was sitting for a couple hours in snow - maybe it looked bigger than it was - must have been a muskrat.
sarge

rf and richie - I took a little time to try to sharpen the image (new stuff for me) and I think Mike had it right looking at the tail - has to be leucistic mallard hen

0085s.jpg

the sitting shot is confusing almost looks like it's molting

0083s.jpg

thanks for all the info guys !
sarge

Back