Pistol in boat while duck hunting - resolved

Mark W

A while back I posed a question on the legality of bringing a pistol in the boat with me while duck hunting. Lots of good thoughts and suggestions and I owe Tod O. thanks for bringing up a couple of points that helped me when discussing with the Wisconsin DNR. Here is what I learned.

Lead shot in possession while duck hunting?

When defining what is legal shot for hunting ducks, a pistol or rifle round is not considered shot (as Tod stated). We went through the rules and the guy in the headquarter office agreed that shot is not the same as a bullet and therefore the rules on non lea shot do not apply. He even called higher ups and confirmed. Should I choose, I can bring lead bullets with me. I have found and purchased some CCI .22 copper bullets just to be safe but they are expensive compared to normal bullets.

Can I carry it in the boat while duck hunting?

It is not illegal to carry a gun that shoots bullets with you when hunting ducks. The law states, in many different ways, that you cannot take, hunt, pursue ducks with a rifle, pistol and so on but having one in the boat is not an issue.

Can I shoot the pistol after I have harvested some ducks?

Yes, as long as there is no bullet holes in the ducks that were shot no problem.

Is it considered hunting ducks with a pistol if I'm out hunting ducks and have a pistol in the boat?

Nope. Someone would have to see me shooting at ducks with the pistol (or rife) to be guilty.

Anyway, I asked many questions and enjoyed the conversation. Don't know if I'll ever have a pistol/rifle with me but I have confirmed that I would be entirely legal. Got the CO's business card and wrote the date we spoke on the back. If nothing else, should I be stopped, I have a name and date as to who the conversation was held.

Mark

Good morning, Mark~

Good treatment of topic. One thought, though - I would not have a pistol in a duckboat over decoys unless I also had a shotgun with non-toxic shot along, too.

All the best,

SJS

This is the way it is in NY as well. However, it is worth noting that it is illegal to take waterfowl with a pistol, even if that pistol fires a shotgun shell. I may not use my 410 Contender to take a duck or goose.

Back