Pricing advice for a small old boat

Chuck J

Hey all

Looking for some advice for my dad who is looking to sell his old boat on the side of the road. While he is out in the country, there are also quite a few cottage lakes around his area so he's got that going for him. (I am NOT looking to sell it here...just seeking insight on fair market value)

He has an early 60's 12' fiberglass semi-V hull, aside from summers chained by the lake for 8-10 years in the 80's it spent most of it's days stored inside. I am guessing it is rated for 7.5hp but he never had more than a 3hp on it, and most of the time we just rowed it (wore out at least 2 sets of locks over the years). Did not leak last time it was used, gel coat has some surface cracking. Most boats this size I see are aluminum, which as we all know has advantages and disadvantage.

Trailer, which is probably worth more than the boat, good shape as well. Painted steel, might be some light surface rust as the paint has not been touched up in decades, but again, this was almost always stored inside. Basic bunks with rollers down the middle. If memory serves me it sits a little higher, but also tilts, which my dad thought most trailers that small often don't tilt.

He's not selling the motor yet, but he has a beautiful Evinrude 3hp he bought before his honeymoon (yes, my parents went fishing on their honeymoon.) Aside from a handful of times he got it out to use he has stored it in the basement my whole life.

Didn't find any digital pics in my files, could dig through albums and see what I find, it would likely feature a skinny kid with a mop of blond hair, cut off jeans and a ragged screen print t-shirt.

Any and all advice welcome. He isn't looking to get rich off the sale, but doesn't want to give it away either.

Thanks
Chuck

Would love to see a photo of that hull!
Price: Boat prices vary by region, but I'm going to guess well under $1000.00, probably around $500.00.
Check the local FB Marketplace or Craigslist to get a better idea.

Up here, a tin boat that size would be worth more, since it would suitable for carrying in to a remote pond or rough use for clamming or other low-technology commercial fisheries. Fiberglass is too heavy for carrying in and too much maintenance for a clam or worm digger, seaweed harvester or elver fisherman to want to deal with. I'd say $500 or less. Same boat in aluminum would be more like $750-800. Trailer probably is most of the value--but if it only fits a 12' boat, most folks here would put the boat in the truck bed or car top it. If it would fit a 14' boat, I'd separate them and sell the trailer separately.

Back