Prodigal duck hunter returnes. Need help with Carstens Pintail, pics added.

scott a. walker

Been gone for several years, was Scott Walker on the old site. Moved to NC from Missouri. Got a new boat and look forward to getting back into Duckboats.net!

imagejpg11.jpg

imagejpg5.jpg

Recently traded a Radisson canoe for this Carstens Pintail. I have some problems you can see in the pics.

Should I cut out the bad gunnel or make a mold and fill with epoxy?

I have more pics but Internet is slow for some reason.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Scott
How much of that is there? One or two spots or more? If it is one or two I would patch. More and I would cut out and replace. I helped a friend with a couple of small patches on areas like that and they turned out well.

WELCOME BACK!

You'll have that thing patched in no time...
We are looking forward to going through the rehab RIGHT ALONG WITH YOU :)

Good luck!

Here are some more pics...

imagejpg9.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg6.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

You can see that a previous owner added screws to hold the two halves together but I don't see the need, the inside still looks good and glassed.

imagejpg3.jpg

imagejpg8.jpg

I think I need to drill those holes out bigger and fill with epoxy. Is that the right thing to do or should I put screws back?

Scott,

Contact Jim Carsten at Carsten's. They are very helpful with direction/information in restoring damage to one of their boats.

Good Luck,
Ron

Everyone has covered the repair, definitely looks to be a pretty straightforward fix! Just wanted to say welcome to NC!

Brad

Last edited:
Scott,

Contact Jim Carsten at Carsten's. They are very helpful with direction/information in restoring damage to one of their boats.

Good Luck,
Ron

Will do, sounds like the right plan.

Would listen to more advice as well.

Thanks Brad! Do you hunt the Yadkin? I have driven over it several times and it look ducky... To bad there is no flyway over it.

Yeah for the most part except when we head down east. We live on High Rock so that makes it pretty convenient. Where in Carteret are you located?

Brad

Right in Cape Carteret proper. About four blocks from the sound.

Spent four hours sanding today.... Next saturday is opening day. Hope to. E done by then.

Will post more pics.

Scott,

In my mind you have three different types of damage requiring three different repair procedures.

(A) small single screw hole= suggest using a countersink to taper the hole from both sides, then fill with epoxy. The tapering will lock the plug in place and provide more surface area for the epoxy to adhere to.

(B) cluster of holes surrounded by spider cracks= Similar to above repair except grind away a larger taper to include the spider cracks. Fill with epoxy and a layer or two of glass or fill with epoxy/chopped glass mixture.

(C) Large tears in structural portions of the hull= Grind away all damaged fiberglass tapering out to the edges of the repair. Follow up with many layers of epoxy and glass. May require a mold like backing to get started. You can consult many excellent fiberglass repair videos on you-tube.

Good luck in your endeavors. Done properly, a repair like this can be just as strong as the original and will blend seamlessly into the hull.

Scott,

In my mind you have three different types of damage requiring three different repair procedures.

(A) small single screw hole= suggest using a countersink to taper the hole from both sides, then fill with epoxy. The tapering will lock the plug in place and provide more surface area for the epoxy to adhere to.

(B) cluster of holes surrounded by spider cracks= Similar to above repair except grind away a larger taper to include the spider cracks. Fill with epoxy and a layer or two of glass or fill with epoxy/chopped glass mixture.

(C) Large tears in structural portions of the hull= Grind away all damaged fiberglass tapering out to the edges of the repair. Follow up with many layers of epoxy and glass. May require a mold like backing to get started. You can consult many excellent fiberglass repair videos on you-tube.

Good luck in your endeavors. Done properly, a repair like this can be just as strong as the original and will blend seamlessly into the hull.

Thanks for the good info. had rain most of the day, sanded for four hours on the hull it has some bad spots that are different than the above will get you a pic or two tomorrow for further instruction.. Will let you know how it turns out.

Back