Propane Boat Heater/Cooker Recommendations

John Lane

My Father and Uncle have pulled the duck boat out os several years of storage and building on new blind on it. It is an 18 foot jon adn will have a aluminum square tube frame with sheeting over that. In years past we utilized charcoal to heat and cook, but we no longer wish too lose brain cells to the carbon monoxide build up in the blind. And none of use can afford to lose any more due to age!

They would like to install a propane tank and lines and set up 3-4 individual burners that could provide heat and be used to cook on.

Cabelas has the Quiet blind heater/cooker, but it is priced a bit high if you want 4 of them.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

I have a Coleman Perfect flow 2 burner stove and a Mr Buddy heater plumbed to a 10lb Propane tank. I used the Colman T fitting and extension hose to connect to each. Hoses and fitting were under $25 each and the heater I picked up on clearance for $39 each . The system works great and throws off plenty of heat.

I also have a Magna BBQ grill that accepts the same fittings for summer fun. No more small 1lb bottles to deal with.

My Father and Uncle have pulled the duck boat out os several years of storage and building on new blind on it. It is an 18 foot jon adn will have a aluminum square tube frame with sheeting over that. In years past we utilized charcoal to heat and cook, but we no longer wish too lose brain cells to the carbon monoxide build up in the blind. And none of use can afford to lose any more due to age!

They would like to install a propane tank and lines and set up 3-4 individual burners that could provide heat and be used to cook on.

Cabelas has the Quiet blind heater/cooker, but it is priced a bit high if you want 4 of them.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

For the record, CO is produced by ANY combustion product. You also aren't likely getting a lot (if any) of build up if you have any type of open top or much air movement. The charcoal fumes might be a bit nasty, but CO isn't likely your problem. If it is, propane produces CO too.

Dave - it is supposed to be a bit light-hearted, laugh a bit! The smoke produced when adding new briquettes was at times overwhelming - especially with 3 buckets going! The blind also had lids in between hunters. Propane burns much cleaner, should be an improvement. However, grilled sandwiches will lack the wood smoke taste!

Back