Protect him from Himself

In almost all commercial const you'll see fire rated dimentional lumber ie; 2x4,2x6, ect also in plywood mostly 3/4. As lou said it is most of the time dyed pink but I've also seen it were it has clearish cloudy sparkles all over it and no dye. You'll find this matrial at your larger construction supply houses/lumber yards. I've been to many big box stores and never seen it in any. Matter of fact your lucky to find anything with a better quality rating than #2. Anyways you see alot of it used for backing in interior walls with mostly steel studs. With the backing for attaching fixtures ie; cabinets, towel bars ect. Since your fire rating doesnt come from the stud matrial it comes from the thickness of sheetrock. Pending local codes. Our 1 hour rated wall has 1 1/4in sheetrock on it to get that rating. either two layers of 5/8 on one side or one layer of 5/8 on both sides of the wall, all the way through the ceiling to the roof. Anyway I'm guessing all the backing has to be fire rated to keep the fixtures on the wall during a fire. Long story short it does exist.
So i dont know alot about duck hunting. I was new 3 years ago. But I enjoy reading all the posts for pointers. So I was really kind of excited to make a post I actually new something about.
Take care fellas

Back