Puppy books...

Nate Grace

Hi folks,

Could anyone suggest a few books that a perspective dog owner might read up on prior to getting a puppy? Thinking of possibly getting a pup later this summer. A good friend will attempt a breeding next month with his male lab and the female lab his dad owns.

Thanks in advance.

Nate G.

Nate,
go to this link.
You will not get a book per say but an online training and puppy ownership manual. It is a little more than some books but the info and web board are very helpful with dog related questions.
I think there are some videos at the home site as well that show some of the dogs working. The server for the program has some nice ones on it.

Lots of books out there with lots of different ideas on how a dog should be trained. Two of my personal favorites are, the classic Water Dog by Richard Wolters and what I think is a great book, The Labrador Shooting Dog by Mike Gould. Two somewhat different perspectives on training a dog.

The other good, more generic puppy book, is How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live with, by Clarice Rutherford and David H. Neil. It's a good starter. I think they also have a retriever puppy bok but I am not familiar with it.

As for full on training, I am a fan of Mike Lardy's system. It's not cheap, and it's nothing new, but it is fairly comprehensive.
http://www.amazon.ca/How-Raise-Pupp...8281126?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179257354&sr=1-1

I'm also a supporter of Mike Lardy's material. The videos/dvd's can be expensive. From his website you can order his "books". They are compliations of his articles from Reriever Journal. If you follow his program you will have a very well trained dog.

Many people start out saying "I just want a dog that brings back the birds!" Most of the dogs being bred today are capable of so much more. Training them to do it is not that hard. Following a good program from the beginning is the key. The easiet problem to fix is the one YOU never created.

Evan Graham's Smartworks follow a similar program and are spoken highly of. Both are based on the theories of Rex Carr, the father of modern retriever field training.

Have fun with your dog!

Tom

PS Lardy's website is: www.totalretriever.com

hunting, trail pics 006.jpgRobert Milner wrote a book back in the early 80's that is very good. The title Retriever Training for the Duck Hunter. Tom Quinn The Working Retriever is a very good read. D L walters not to be confused with ( richard wolters) Training retrievers to handle. The Lardy videos are the best but like said very expensive. These books and videos have helped many make good dogs including me.

James Roberts: Owner, trainer, handler of FC AFC Scud Buster II MH

Nate

I like the below book for intro to puppy 101 and basic obediance training with preparation for future field work. In paperback it's a cheap investment.

puppybook.jpg

heres a 'puppy post' i made a few years ago people seem to like.

Well, you start training your dog the first time you see it. Everything the dog expereinces, goes into the dog... it's up to you to manipulate the expereinces to be postive.

Crate training, starts day one. A dog that will go quietly into its crate on command, and stay there as needed is a dog that is a pleasure to travel with, be it to a hunt, hunt test, or road trip. Crate training makes housebreaking a snap... cause pup doesn't mind going in your house, but doesn't want to go in his! So go to crate, get pup, take outside and tell him GO PEE. Make a big deal when he does. Sound elementry? Imagine a 10 hour road trip, and a rainy hotel parking lot, and your dog pees on command, does his business and gets you out of the rain... Training starts day one on the kind of dog you want to carry around for the next 10 years or so.

Quiet... (or for us southerners, HUSH). Teach it the first night if you're smart... HUSH... nothing good ever happens to a dog making noise. If he's noisey, he doesn't get out, or in, or whatever he wants. HUSH, and a kennel rattling... or when a little older, a chin chuk... Make it be the dogs nature to be quiet, and to know noise gets him nowhere. A dig quiet by nature, who knows noise is going to lead to a correction, is a dog that accepts that, and never wants to. Head off problems, instead of looking for a tip or trick to fix them later. Dogs that whine on the line, or in a duck blind, or in a kennel crate at a training day, are doing that because they did it when they are puppies. Never let them.

SIT... take a puppy, and get his attention with a treat or a piece of dog food, when hes watching it, move it over his head. As he watches it he'll raise his head higher and higher until his read end touches the ground... GOOD SIT. He just sat. He sat for a treat, which isn't sit per say, but he did it. After a few times, he'll make the connection of head high and tail on ground and you're happy. Now, make sit part of his nature... feedtime, hes hungry, bounching around, SIT, one time... with no emotion... he wont sit at first, cause hes hungry and you got the bowl... just wait him out, he'll sit. When he does, put the food down. After a few tries, make him SIT, till you release him with OK to go to the food. Dont tourte him making him sit for 5 minutes, but make him sit till released. You're making his nature be to sit to make things happen. Before he's released from his crate, SIT, open door, OK to come out. before you walk thru a door, SIT you walk thru, then relase with OK. Before ANYTHING good happens, its preceded by a sit and a release.

DON'T nag him... SIT, SIT, SIT BOY, SIT, SIT DOWN NOW, STAY... You're teaching him your words mean nothing to him until you get mad. SIT, and make him comply. If you can't make him comply, don't give the command. Never let him know you're powerless and he can disobey you. Soon, its his nature to always obey, the first time, because he's never done anything else.

If you want a dog that doesnt get on the couch, or the bed, or go down the hall to the bedrooms, never let him. If you let him once, you'll have to bust him at some time or another for it. NO, and put him where hes supposed to be. Same for jumping on people, or any other obnoxious habit. NO, and show him what you want. its that simple. As much as he wants to explore his big new world, he will understand it has boundries, as long as you show him, and ALWAYS make the rules the same. Just one times on allowing things is the most unfair thing you can do to a dog.

So bout 3 weeks into this, you got a dog that will SIT, KENNEL, HUSH, GO PEE and knows the house rules. He's had fun, and so have you. He's too young for serious obedience and pressure so what do you do with him for the next 3 months? Plenty.

Big new world. let him see all of it! Birds, boats, guns, water, 4 wheelers, the smells of cut grass, the smells of uncut grass, a hootchie bird flying by, all of it. Take him everywhere, and let him see and smell all he can. Give him time to run a little, and explore, he'll check up and won't wonder too far. let him see people, other dogs, other people with dogs, cats, you name it... Let him see everything.

Retrieves are where the fun is. Don't overdo them. If pup wont come back with bumper, you're making bad habits. Dont do it. If he gets bored after 5, only give him 3. When he comes back to you with bumper, don't snatch and grab.. Let him hold, while you pet him with bumper in mouth and tell him GOOD HOLD. Yeah, you're teaching him, and he doesn't even know. If he wont come back, long lines or another bumper twirled around will usually do it.. never chase, or play tug of war. The retreiveing at this part is fun, nothing is being learned about retreiving, but a bunch of bad habits can be... Dont do it. Make it simple, focusing on the eyes, and if he wont go and come back, don't throw it.

So your dog sits for treats and his food bowl to released. Sit him in kitchen floor facing you. Piece of dog food behind him 4 foot on floor (let him see you place it). If he moves, pick it up. He needs to sit, till you walk in front of him. SIT (so he'll be looking), tell him OK, his release. Do your hand up like your casting (but slow so you dont scare him). Repete, with OK BACK, then BACK OK. Wow, he's 12 weeks old and takes a back cast. Teach overs one at a time, with the hand signal and chaining commands. Will he cast in the field now? No, but you've got a fun game that he did learn something on, and makes other steps easier. Some dogs really like the back cast, and during formal obedeince lessons (read no fun) a pile of bumpers in the cornor of the yard and a back cast can be as much fun as a hup hup bumper... If you're gonna have a fun game for treats, 3 handed casting to them is more productive than your kids playing tug of war with a stuffed animal or him pissing in your boots.

Now you're 6 weeks or so into it, and you've introduced everything in his life as a hutning dog, and intorduced things (like hold and casting) that are much eaiser for a puppy to understand now than later.... Much like those classes for newborns to learn to swim I suppose.

Around 5 months, the adult teeth start coming in. Mouth gets sore. No fetches for pup... Retreiving is his life, never ask him to do it when its painful for him. Time to formalize formal obedience, with a lead, choke/pinch collar, and stick... Time to start with a dummy collar if your going the ecollar route. You're pup will breeze thru this, as its his nature to SIT, and he already knew what it was.. HERE is no problem, hes on a leash, and he's never been allowed to run off while you yelled HERE cause you never gave commands you couldnt enforce. HEEL is a no brainer, because this dog likes to learn, doesn't fight it. Hes been learning since day one, and never even noticed it.

Training is fun, for you and your dog. If its not fun for either of you, you're doing it wrong. Never correct a dog in anger, never correct a dog for a misteak. Correct dogs for willful disobeience, or not trying. Every time you allow an unwanted behavior be it running the bank, or jumping on someone, or creeping on a hard mark you are being unfair to your dog. Saying, I'll fix it later when its a problem, is saying you don't care enough to not put your dog in that situtation, rather you'd just wait till it blows up, and you'll hammer him for it. Thats wrong. For a dog to always try his hardest for you, you must for him. That means being fair to the dog always. And that starts by making rules stick, and not putting the dog in sitations he's not ready for... if hes not decheated, dont throw cheating marks. if hes not steady don't try to see if he'll break. Testing him instead of teaching is a recipie for failure. travis

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lots of good programs out there... get one and stick with it. Dont mix and match, or skip around. evan grahams smartworks seem to be the most bang for the buck/ easy nuff for a beginer to succeed with/ results for effort you'll find. Also, find a local hunting retrever club... it takes a village so to speak. Even if you dont think you want to get involved in tests and trials, you might be surprised when you get around some the dog folks and your new pup starts coming along. regardless, having a training group is important to get maximum outta even a duck dog. Be wary of internet advice as well.. lots of exspurts on the internet that if they spent their time training instead of talking, they wouldnt have to tell anyone how good they are! hehe. travis

I'm not the dog expert you are Travis, but every thing you said in my experience is right on.

I've never been known as a touchy - feely kind of guy, maybe that is why a frend that has a kennel handed me a copy of the Monks of New Skete "The Art of Raising A Puppy". Ok I read it.. Jet wasn't a hard case, to make him shine I needed a diferent aproach than with the other labs I've trained. The Book gave it to me, Jet is on the bow in my avitar. He is the best lab I have ever had, without the change of tactics picked up trough the book, he wouldn't be.

Try your local Library if they don't have a copy, they may be able to get you one.

http://www.newsketemonks.com/products.htm

My Bible in the early days is the book "Hey Pup Fetch it Up" by Bill Tarrant. Very good guide with lots of appropriate ideas for developing both a Gun dog and Fine Family animal. Bit old School for todays times for the Field Trial game.....I still use many of it's coverage while raising a Puppy.

gar

Wow! Thanks all for the great information. I really appreciate it. Travis, I appreciate you reposting that information. That sounds very good. I am printing all of this out to read on the train tonight. Now, hopefully the breeding will take next month. They've tried two other breedings that didn't take, so hopefully this will stick. I've hunted with both labs and they are very driven, very smart hunters and excellent retrievers. If you go to www.northcountryoutfitters.net, you can see some pics of the female, Dory. She is an eider retrieving nut!

Thanks again for the great information.

Best,
Nate

A GREAT book in my (and a lot of trainers I asked the same question to) is "Ten Minute Retriever". It tells you how to do it in 10 minutes per day. It's available at Cabela's

Also, check out www.retrievertraining.net Chris Atkinson is a good friend of mine and runs a great site. Don't be put off by a lot of the "experts" on there. It's most hunt test guys, but they're still great at answering very basic questions as well.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Kirk Sherbine

Back