Railboat plans

Todd,
Yes, the bottom is rounded both from bow to stern and from side to side. The radius from side to side is constant. I think of the bottom and side "planks" were made to the exact dimensions taken from a constructed boat that the form would take itself naturally once a few form sections were added. Here are some pictures showing how traditional construction is done.
View attachment PICT1432.JPGView attachment PICT1447.JPGView attachment PICT1452.JPGView attachment PICT1457.JPGView attachment PICT1463.JPGView attachment PICT1464.JPGView attachment IMG_0141.JPGView attachment IMG_0161.JPGView attachment IMG_0187.JPGView attachment IMG_0191.JPG

Wow, beautiful. The craftsmanship looks superb! That final pic of the complete boat, is just jaw dropping. Very nice.

never got got chance to do any rail hunting now just turning 80 don't think I will able to.
I know that maine has a few at merrymetting bay . I looked up years ago a recipt from england on cooking
rail with the guts intack a bill pushed through side when cooking, served on mash pottatos and brandy souse.
best Bill perry

Hi Todd:
I own a Rail Skiff that was in the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum for a while.
I have plans for it, but not build plans.
Just measured drawing done by CBMM.
This was a Cohansey Skiff.
If you are interested, I just saw the tube they are in, I could have them copied for you.

Perry:

Too late for this season, but next season, you can take the bow seat in my sculling boat for some MMB rails. I have not hunted them in several years, and it would be good to get out after them again. Lots of work for the poler, but an easy gentleman's hunt for the shooter. :)

Good afternoon tides third week of September if you are game.

David Stern said:
Hi Jode:
Where did you get that Cohansey Skiff?
Thanks

David
I bought it from a muskrat trapper who's grandfather had it built. It was made by Alvin Beal and passed down through the trappers family. I have since sold it.

Back