Rangeley camp, another year in the books. NDR

Thanks SJ, it has been a very rewarding venture, especially having my brother's and father's involvement.

Good luck this weekend and Monday too. I'll be in Rangeley for upland Saturday and ducks Monday.

Hey Kris...The main roof is a 12/12 pitch and also metal, so the snow slides off very easily. Directly in line above the stove pipe I installed some snow stop cleats so it slows the rate of snow slide. The dog house will further help protect the pipe from falling snow.

Thanks Tod, appreciate it. I am very happy with how it is turning out. Safe outings to you and Gus this fall.

Thanks a lot Eric. My dad is no stranger to woodworking tools. He was both an Industrial Arts teacher and building contractor for many years. On the barn doors, I drew up a design that used some T1-11 that was leftover from siding the camp and in a day or two the doors were done. He just turned 83 this month.

The camp is 3 hours NW from my house and about 2-1/2 hours from where I meet clients for sea ducking. The signs, are older signs I had on my truck rack and if you look closely, they are attached to a black dog sled that I use to pull my beagles in behind my snowmobile when I rabbit hunt up there. It is much the same design as a mushers dog sled.

At some point I may offer lodging services but the camp concept is more for friends and family to retreat to for outdoor adventures.

Thanks again.

Great looking camp. I've been to Rangeley alot, great place. I had the best prime rib at the Rangeley Inn. I had a camp in Eustis for 3 years. Good luck with it.

Troy,

Ya got me with those Ruffed Grouse, photos.

Not easy to do.

Tells me lots about your woodsmanship, and being able to "pussy foot", as my Uncle Frank would say.

They are in steep decline in our neck of the woods, and PA (the state bird), mostly due to West Nile.

Gawd how I miss those birds.

Hope your state, and area dodges the bullet.

Once Covid settles down. I look forward to going to, and hunt them where they are, while I still can (but slower).

Best regards
Vince

Thanks John.

I've been fortunate to have Rangeley be a part of my life for 50 years now. Caught some of my first brook trout on a fly on Quimby Pond. I actually looked over in the Straton/Eustis area before I purchased this lot. There was a fair amount of listings on Eustis Ridge Rd. Had my first and only encounter with snow geese on Flagstaff and we use to have dinner at the Porterhouse Restaurant before the fire. Just a lot of great memories in that area and hopefully many more to come.

Troy, yes my camp was on Eustis Ridge, went to the Porterhouse my times. Helped a guy Danny Lajoie build camps there. Of course I'm talking 1980s. Have a good friend Rene Lavoie who fished Quimby alot and Salmon on Rangeley, he used to work at LL Bean. Hunted Flaggstaff also, great memories.

Troy, Nice camp. How did you get those screens that tight on your porch? We are having a hard getting it done. Thanks , Fritz.

Thanks Fritz. For the screens, we had a 5' roll and a 3' roll of aluminum screening. We just stapled one end and pulled taught to the other side, then the other person stapled along both edges and then the other end. The overlap was 1/2" in order to get some good staple holding power and then we covered the overlapping screen with a 1/4" x 3/4" strip of flat stock pine. We did have some blocking with cardboard over it to fill the opening void to prevent any sagging. The aluminum seems to work better than the fiberglass, at least in our application. Hope this helps.

Flush toilet? Hot water heater? That's not a camp, it's a palace! [:)]

Regarding the partridge, I'm just back from 5 days in Allagash country where the fishing was slow, but the partridge were thick. On the ~1 mile hike out of a trout pond, we put up 10. No dog, no beating the bushes. Just walking the trail. Saw similar numbers on other walks, and many, many, many on the roads driving. We took to an over/under bet on the number of partridges we'd see between the main logging road and the camp we rented, about 3 miles. We averaged 5, and about double that if we did the drive late afternoon when the birds were down pecking gravel.

Opening day is tomorrow, but on my travels I picked up two nails in tires. They were to have been repaired, but one is still leaking. I do not think I can talk my wife into letting me take her new hybrid in the woods, so I'll be doing chores this weekend.

Last edited:
Troy, you have done an outstanding job with your cabin. I am quite green with envy you have such a place. The season for grouse opened up recently didn't it? You get out after them?

Palace it is Jeff, There is something to be said for a hot shower after a day in the field. We were there Saturday for the grouse opener but I had work conflicts and missed today's duck opener. Foliage is about peak in Rangeley I would say. We walked a fair amount on Saturday and did not have any luck. Heard some shooting in the area for about 20 minutes then all was quiet again. We did manage one bird and Pearl brought that back to hand. A great weekend making more memories. Good luck this season.

Thanks Dani, truly a family effort. I'm fortunate to have the father and brother that I do. You are correct...Saturday was our opener, slow, but beautiful to be afield with gun in hand. Here are a couple pictures of the area. My folks came up Sunday for a visit too, all-in-all, a great weekend. Duck opened up there today but I had to deal with some things at work, so missed that one. Thursday opens the southern zone and my guiding starts Friday.

A couple pictures of Coos Canyon

View attachment foliage1.jpg

View attachment foliage2.jpg

Sunday morning's coffee, no hunting here on Sunday so no need for a travel mug.

View attachment foliage3.jpg

My folks on the upper deck with Ephraim Ridge behind them.

View attachment foliage7.jpg

And the one grouse I managed.

View attachment troy grouse.jpg

Man o man you have some truly gorgeous scenery. It's still in the 80s down here (though this week should cool off so it feels like fall) and I almost posted asking for pictures from folks to remind me what fall is supposed to look like. Thanks for those....

just got back from hunting in the rangeley area lots of birds this year. hand a great lunch at bosbuck camps.
colors area beautiful this time of wear.
best, Bill Perry

Back