patrick mccarthy

looking into buying a rasp(s) for decoy carving
Hand cut or machine cut??
Brand??
Size and shape??
Hand forged or machine made??
Thanks in advance
Pat

Stanley Sur Form first, and then go from there.

IMO the older the rasp the better, and that includes rifflers.

Rust never sleeps, but don't let it deter you if you find rasps and rifflers that call yer name.

Once cleaned up they will amaze you, and you will add your DNA to the patina on the handles of the rasps.

Be aware that once you use them...The connection that you have to the wood, and your project is addictive.

If you have a clock in your shop, get rid of it.

my 2 cents

I've done a lot of shaping with a horse shoeing rasp. They're big and heavy, with a very coarse side, and a less aggressive side.

Jon

Pat,
Stewart McDonald seem to be the choice of most of the carvers I know. Look to be high quality. Hope to get one soon.

Thanks guys
Vince. I keep breaking the Stanley bottom part.
Jon/Tom I?m going to look into your suggestions
Quality hand tools are hard to find and can get pricey when found but they do make a difference
Pat

Look up Paul Sellers website. He has lots of suggestions for hand tools, including rasps. If you are into woodworking you will enjoy his videos.

patrick mccarthy said:
Thanks guys
Vince. I keep breaking the Stanley bottom part.
Jon/Tom I?m going to look into your suggestions
Quality hand tools are hard to find and can get pricey when found but they do make a difference
Pat

Patrick -

By "bottom part" do you mean the replaceable insert?

If so, if you notify Stanley they should make good on the product.

Not long ago I replaced the flat style insert, on my circa 1983, Sur Form. Yup, the old one lasted that long.

The new insert I purchased is nowhere as strong, or durable as the old one. The steel is of inferior quality, compared to the old steel.

As you live in western NY, you really must check the yard, garage, & flea market sales, especially south of you. Flea markets usually have the higher prices, but still good prices.

This was, and is a wood workers paradise.

There are many high quality wood working tools for sale at very, very, reasonable prices.

I try to stop myself from going to the sales, as I have enough already.

Last summer I picked up two very old, high quality gouges for $1 apiece, at a yard sale. All they need is a little TLC, which I will do this winter.

Do I need them?

Heck no, but they will fit just fine in my wood working arsenal.

Happy Hunting!

Best regards
Vince

Looking good Patrick.

Good steel with good handles, a fine balance indeed.

The one on the bottom left reminds me of the old timer I have that I named "The Grim Reaper"

A good wood rasp = a good workout and good results

ENJOY!

VP

Patrick

Make sure you get a good rasp because ya know Egypt was troubled by the horrible rasp Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Couldn't resist! Of course the number of folks that get it might be so small making me look like an idiot :)

Eric

Back