REd plastic gas tank

gcs said:
My question is what LEO would go that far out of the way to write a ticket on an off color gas tank?

Takes being a d!#* to a whole new level....

Maybe the fella that received the ticket was being a d!#*

Opening weekend when I was a 20-something buck a friend and I got checked by Feds.

Went through the license and plug formalities, then he asked to see the birds.

So, I lay them out and i.d. each one. Then he says, "Who shot what?". So I tell him something like, "I got these 2, he got those 3, and I guess we don't know on these other ones."

He looks at my jam packed Bronco II, looks at me and says, "Any other birds or anything I should know about?". To which I replied, "No sir...". He thanked me and said have a nice day.

Goes to next truck over. License and plugs and such, can I see your ducks, etc. Mr Hunter Man lays out his birds and says I shot these here and he shot these....

Fed says, "Would you mind telling me what kind of bird that is?" Gentlemen responds with a guess, to which the warden responds, "Well, actually, that's a hen hooded merganser and you can only shoot 2 of those....Let:s have a look at the rest of the truck...."

As we pulled out I don't think I've seen two more sad hunters than those two chaps laying their gear and clothes out across that parking area.

Now, if I had to guess, that old boy didn't SHOOT more than his share of Merganser, but may have unwittingly CLAIMED them because he didn't know his up from his down.

To Dave's point, it isn't necessarily the infraction that gets you the ticket, it's how you open the yapper.

On the flip side I had a driver get a ticket from a State Trooper enforcing US DOT regs. My guy was on the phone hotter than heck, he was right. I told him to pipe down, cooperate with the officer and we'd take care of it back in the office. 2 hrs later the matter was cleared up, ticket nullified, and driver was back on his way.

Like arguing with an umpire, you ain't going to win at the plate.

Now, as our brothers of the chase have proven, at least generally, to be sane up to the point of being a waterfowler, I tend to believe they can assess risks with action as it suits them. Not much different than buying my buddy smokes when I travel through a lower cost state: he knows it's going to kill him and he ain't smoking more or less if I do or don't, so I figure I'll save him a few bucks so he can afford the funeral.

gcs said:
My question is what LEO would go that far out of the way to write a ticket on an off color gas tank?

Takes being a d!#* to a whole new level....

They're out there. Two years ago I'm sitting with one other boat in a marsh in Iowa (I'm from Illinois). The other vehicle in the parking lot is from Iowa. I have a goose come by at about 20 yards off the water. Not ready for a shot from that direction I shoot twice but do not connect. Roughly 15 minutes later my cell phone goes off. I look at the phone and its from a Iowa conservation officer I have in my contacts so I answer. First thing out of his mouth is "Can I ask why your shooting at Sand Hill Cranes?" Well I saw the Sand Hill Cranes and they were a good 300 yards from me over another area of the marsh. I calmly explain I was shooting at a goose. He properly tells me he didn't see a goose anywhere over the marsh and basically called me a liar. I explained the goose was under the tree line and would have been hard for him to see based on the elevated dike we was glassing the marsh from. He continued to explain in a not so professional voice it's illegal to shoot cranes. I told him I knew they are illegal and is why I would never shoot at one. A few more mutterings and he hangs up. Now why was it so important to him and how much time did it take him to run my license plate to find out who I was then to find a cell number assigned to me to be a d!#* about shooting a Sand Hill Cranes that I didn't shoot at and then continue to throw is position around trying to intimidate me. He never asked if I hit one because he could see them both fly away. Yeah, he's a young guy with an apparent attitude and yeah they are out there. I'll bet he didn't call the guy with Iowa plates either.

My red oem tank had GASOLINE and all the hazard warnings molded in, there is no way anyone that can read could not know what is in this tank.

I didn't bother painting the bottom.

Rust-Oleum dark grey primer

Eric Balkom said:
My red oem tank had GASOLINE and all the hazard warnings molded in, there is no way anyone that can read could not know what is in this tank.

I'll ask that you consider this. Which is easier to do from a safe distance, (A) see the original red color or (B) read the molded in warnings?
In an emergency situation, would you rather be warned while far enough away to be out of danger or would you rather stroll right up to the container and look to see if it is labeled?

Please explain to me the reasoning behind adding to the risks already faced by emergency personnel, first responders and other good Samaritans (quite possibly your next door neighbor)? I'm getting the impression that the feeling is; Do what ever you want and to heck with everyone else.
I just don't understand why leaving it red is so difficult.

Huntindave McCann said:
Eric Balkom said:

I'll ask that you consider this. Which is easier to do from a safe distance, (A) see the original red color or (B) read the molded in warnings?
In an emergency situation, would you rather be warned while far enough away to be out of danger or would you rather stroll right up to the container and look to see if it is labeled?

Please explain to me the reasoning behind adding to the risks already faced by emergency personnel, first responders and other good Samaritans (quite possibly your next door neighbor)? I'm getting the impression that the feeling is; Do what ever you want and to heck with everyone else.

This was funny for a while but just stupid now. NO emergency responders will be out where we hunt...And safe distance??? If you have it under a deck or covered, as 99% of hunters, will ... it doesn't matter. If LEO find the condition of a tank unacceptable, the owner get a ticket and lecture. but... WTF??? Who is so stupid that doesn't know what a tank in a boat is??? Perhaps there is happy juice in it!!!! I am also wondering, who would approach a boat with an outboard on it, and not expect to find a fuel cell. Would they really have the ability to help someone in trouble, if they didn't know this?????

Serious question... Why does a permanent tank not have molded warnings or and is not red? Or doesn't have to be red?

Phil Nowack said:
Huntindave McCann said:
Eric Balkom said:

This was funny for a while but just stupid now. NO emergency responders will be out where we hunt...And safe distance??? If you have it under a deck or covered, as 99% of hunters, will ... it doesn't matter. If LEO find the condition of a tank unacceptable, the owner get a ticket and lecture. but... WTF??? Who is so stupid that doesn't know what a tank in a boat is??? Perhaps there is happy juice in it!!!! I am also wondering, who would approach a boat with an outboard on it, and not expect to find a fuel cell. Would they really have the ability to help someone in trouble, if they didn't know this?????

Serious question... Why does a permanent tank not have molded warnings or and is not red? Or doesn't have to be red?

Phil,
Please please go back and read the entire thread. Do you NOT understand that the discussion is about a portable tank? A portable tank that may not be anywhere near a boat with an outboard on it.

Permanent fuel tanks/containers fall under different requirements precisely because they are ALWAYS installed in/on the equipment they supply.
Portable tanks need to be identifiable, independent of their surroundings. A portable gasoline tank falls under the same regulations as any other portable gasoline container.

Has to be red.
Has to be labeled.
Must be ON THE GROUND when filled at a retail gas station.

These rules and regulations were developed because folks were getting injured and killed. The rules have not eliminated all incidents but they certainly have reduced them. Sorry if you think this is funny or stupid.

How many boaters fill their tank in the boat?

I understand the question was about portables...BUT..What is the difference about portables?

We simply need less laws. People still speed.. people drink and drive, people text and drive... etc.. How much safety is added by a red tank??? I would say few lives have been saved in history because of laws concerning the color of a portable tank than views of this post.

Phil Nowack said:
How many boaters fill their tank in the boat?

I would hope, none. I know I don't do this, too much danger of a static electric spark igniting a fire.

I understand the question was about portables...BUT..What is the difference about portables?

This has been covered earlier in the discussion.

We simply need less laws. People still speed.. people drink and drive, people text and drive... etc.. How much safety is added by a red tank??? I would say few lives have been saved in history because of laws concerning the color of a portable tank than views of this post.

I have no way to know how many lives have been saved. Does it really matter? What is it costing to comply with the safety regulations?

You can put hope in 1 hand... and crap in the other.. and see which one fills up first!

We know many boaters fill their tank in their boat. There was even a post on her concerning using a portable as a permanent...

And yes.. it does matter. If a law effectively has no benefit, it has no purpose.

Phil Nowack said:
You can put hope in 1 hand... and crap in the other.. and see which one fills up first!

We know many boaters fill their tank in their boat. There was even a post on her concerning using a portable as a permanent...

And yes.. it does matter. If a law effectively has no benefit, it has no purpose.

(A) I'll decline the offer to crap in my hand.
(B) I personally don't have any friends who fill a portable container or tank unless it is sitting on the ground.
(C) I didn't say the law has no benefit, I only said I had no way of knowing.

My neighbor lady three doors down from me would NOT be able to pick out a portable tank in my garage by shape.
My neighbor lady WOULD be able to tell me that those red things probably had gasoline in them.

I know for a fact that you do have friends.. more than one even...that have or do fill tanks, NOT on the ground.

I CONTEND that the law has no value

this entire dialogue is pointless, unless you have nothing better to do with your time, other than worry about what someone else does.

Just to add to the confusion. My son was a production manager for a concrete mftr company. The county police required plastic gas cans on commercial vehicles and the state police required metal cans.
There were only a few state roads in the county but you could not get to the state roads without driving on county roads.
Both would give summons, had to stay off the state roads.

Back