Redhead or Ringneck?

Kevin Layne said:
Based on the angle of the bill, sure looks more like a canvasback or can cross to me.
Kevin has a point. The bill is canvasback, the rest of the bird is hen ringneck from the coloration and size.
I'm going with hybrid.

not a very long bill. The ringneck sports that bill shape. The ring is just starting to show, it is a smallish duck, voila, an immature hen ringer. Were the eyes yellow or a hazel-brown? yellow would indicate a drake, while the darker says female..

george w said:
not a very long bill..
But it's MUCH longer than the typical ringneck bill. I say Can/ringneck hybrid bill, more can than 'neck.

george w said:
The ringneck sports that bill shape..
The shape of the bill is the first thing that says "can". That is NOT a typical ringneck bill. I still say Can/ringneck hybrid bill, more can than 'neck.

george w said:
The ring is just starting to show, it is a smallish duck,.
The very faint area on the bill could be a ring or the start of a ring. If it's a can/ringneck hybrid, it would certainly show some characteristics of a ringneck, e.g. a faint bill ring. Again, more can than ringneck.

One thing for certain; it is not a typical ringneck hen, and the best explanation so far is Kevin Layne's.

Last edited:

IMO - No decoy carver knew, studied, and carved Ringneck Ducks (especially hens) better than Mr. Miles Pirnie, Lansing Michigan.

Study his work and you shall SEE that every hen is different, including bill size, and in different stages of their lives and development. Few if any decoy carvers/waterfowl hunters knew the ducks that well. The man knew his stuff, no doubt about it and his work shows it very well.

How this relates to the duck in the photo and the questioned asked, is up to the individual.

It's a Ringneck Duck.

my 2 cents

Back