Rescuing A Rail Skiff *Updated with text and pics*

Any idea of what finished product weights? Once again beautiful work and it would be awful hard for me to cover up that beautiful woodwork with some drab duckboat paint! You really think the rails will care?LOL.

The skiff is about 150-175 lbs. not light by any means, but the weights helps balance when gunning solo .

I'm sure the rails don't mind gloss varnish, but I made fancy shiny runabout before. Too much upkeep for me. I'm a mud and blood type of guy!

15: The entire hull was meticulously sanded and given a final coat of epoxy. So pretty. Its almost ashame to paint her!

19: She floats! Simple graceful lines are the hallmark of the New Jersey Rail Skiff.

Dang Jode, absolutely spectacular! I've got a thing for boats that are pointy at both ends, kind of an obsession really, I think I'm up around 8 or 9 now. Wood, fiberglass, aluminium, I like them all! As far as yours, as great as it is to see the bare naked wood showing through, it it super to see it on the water, ready to work.

Best

Chuck

Haha, me too Chuck, this make 5 pointy end boats fore me..... Lol. They all serve their purpose. I love the natural look, but something about olive drab I can't resist

Last edited:
Jode.... Great job! Makes me homesick looking at those pictures...
If you want to give the Cohansey a shot - try the sunken meadow across from the golf course - south to the Fairton Gut.
I shot many a rail bird in that piece - no rice, but alot of tri-stem.... they seemed to like it.

Mike I haven't been on that meadow since that trip with you. The country club is now a WMA, and I'm wondering if I can't access the water right from there. The rails seem to like that three stem and the yellow flower weed.

You,ve stated lenght in previous post but what is beam and depth? Trying to see how your skiff compares to the railbird plans from spira . Theirs is a 16' lenght with 3' 1" beam. Not decked but should be an easy change. Spiras kind of reminds me of one you,ve shown in another post of a previous hunt with 2 boats. And i completely agree with you on the low maintenance aspect of the drab painted boat but can definately appreciate beautiful woodwork.

If your ever up this way Dave your welcome to come aboard. I'll let you push while I shoot!

Even though it's work, I like poling, keeps me honest and gives me some exercise. Besides after a couple hours you'd feel guilty and swap :D

If your ever up this way Dave your welcome to come aboard. I'll let you push while I shoot!

Even though it's work, I like poling, keeps me honest and gives me some exercise. Besides after a couple hours you'd feel guilty and swap :D

Haha, your probably right!

Great thread, better boat! Nice job on the reconditioning/restoration project. Now you're gonna have to post more pics and stories after you get out to use it hunting.

Great thread, better boat! Nice job on the reconditioning/restoration project. Now you're gonna have to post more pics and stories after you get out to use it hunting.
Thanks Derek, it a real good craft for the skinny water , now I need a nice 28 gauge to go with her.

Jode, how long did you "deliberate" prior touching the first paint strokes to this hull? I know I would have a very long internal dialogue prior applying paint if I made something that visually striking!

Back