Rimfire scope recommendations....definitely NDR

Dwight Harley

I have always shot my Ruger 10-22 with iron sights but the last couple of years I have to admit that my eyes struggle with the iron sights more than they used to! I am going to buy a scope in the $75-$150 range and wondering whether I need a variable scope (2x7 or 3x9) or would a fixed 4x best meet my needs? I shoot rabbits and plink at the range 25-100 yards. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Last edited:
Picked up a MUeller 4.5x14x40 AO at christmas. Love it.Parralex adjusts down to 10' which is valuable on a 22 or 17. Found it on ebay at that time for $118 & free shipping. About $160 other places. Lifetime guarentee.

I stuck a "deer rifle" size 3x9 Tasco on my .22 years ago and never looked back. Amazing improvement, especially vs. those old cheap ".22 scopes"
Back when I actually did get out squirrel hunting, I would keep it on 4x until I got a squirrel in the crosshairs and then turn up the power to take the shot.

I have not bought a scope in years so cant really make a recommendation other than to say you are on the right track.

I have a late 80s Tasco 3x9 on my 10/22. Works great. I put a Nikon 3x9 on my .17HMR. I wish I would have gone 4x12.

My buddy is prostaff for leupold and I have always been satisfied with my optics from them. Made in USA and a great warranty. They basically sell themselves.

The rifleman scope is around 150 if you can get it on sale.

Which ever you choose just remember that ability to adjust parrelex down to 10 yds. Most full size rifle scopes only come down to 25 or 50 yds. If your useing it for hunting in low light conditions you,ll find that a great asset. Thats the whole reason I purchased mine,old eyes couldn,t focus on crosshairs on a 3x9 redfield early morning squirrel hunting. Worked fine on paper in good light.

I have always shot my 10-22 with iron sights but the last couple of years I have to admit that my eyes struggle with the iron sights more than they used to! I am going to buy a scope in the $75-$150 range and wondering whether I need a variable scope (2x7 or 3x9) or would a fixed 4x best meet my needs? I shoot rabbits and plink at the range 25-100 yards. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Timely post, I've been thinking of getting one for Gus' M&P15-22.

Dwight,

Kind of depends on what rifle you have. Maybe 20 years ago now I bought really cheap Bushnell scopes for both of my boys' Ruger 10/22's. Neither would stay sighted in more than about 3 shots and on one the reticle would move around inside the scope. So I called the Bushnell and spoke to the president of the company and over a weeks worth of conversation with him and his head of QC I learned that the Ruger 10/22 was the rifle that was the hardest on scopes of any made at the time - even worse than a high powered rifle. The reason was that the bolt closing was a very sharp spike that was extremely jarring. They recommended scopes that were specifically designed for .22's and get a good quality one. Deer rifle scopes should work fine. Of course if you have a different manufacturer .22 or action type just about any scope might work ok. I friend works at Vortex and is always touting their scopes (even more so than the binoculars) so that's where I would look if I were in the market. A big plus is lifetime, no questions asked, no matter who owns it, warranty.

Pete, it's a Ruger 10-22. The Vortex rimfire scope is on my short list. Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

There is a 4X old Bushnell on my Remington bolt action .22, that has served me well for years. Provided I sight it in each year with the ammo I will use to hunt squirrels, and keep the barrel clean.

The mounts are important as the scope, and the gun they are used on.

I have never found fault with the Leupold 3X9 Vari-X II, on Weaver mounts, that has been on my deer rifle since the 1970's. A very good scope for a very fair price.

That said, my brother in law just put a Nikon variable on his .22 that I am impressed with. I will consider a Nikon when I get a newer bolt action .22.

Pete's words about the warranty should be heeded. So that really narrows the field.

Also higher magnification does not always mean better bullet placement. Many other things come into play.

Don't over think the scope. Basically you are shooting under 100 yds. Low power 4x or variable to 4x, 30mm would be good. Bases are important and proper mounting...

Get you a nikon prostaff rimfire scope...awesome scope for the money. Stay away from the prostaff 2 rimfire, it's their new cheaper version. You should be able to find one in your price range in fixed or variable. The variable versions aren't that much more..so I'd go that route for sure. Best price will be on ebay.

Last edited:
For some it matters and some it doesn't but Vortex is and has always been a Wisconsin company. It started here as Wild Birds Unlimited - then Eagle Optics - then Vortex Optics. It is true that much of their manufacturing has been overseas in China, Philippines, and Japan but that is about to change. Vortex broke ground on a new headquarters and manufacturing plant west of Madison, WI in May of 2016 that should be up and running by the spring of 2018 - their goal - to manufacture all or a majority of optics, specifically rifle scopes, in the new plant. http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/recreation/outdoors/jerry-davis-vortex-moving-headquarters-to-barneveld/article_dbc50ee3-34b7-5962-83e7-27c28377d4d5.html

Nikon with BDC reticle. Nikon also has an app called Spot On that allows you to select any of their BDC scopes and input bullet and round and you select the distance and zero and it gives you shot placement. Really good use of ballistics and technology. Check it out.

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html

For some it matters and some it doesn't but Vortex is and has always been a Wisconsin company. It started here as Wild Birds Unlimited - then Eagle Optics - then Vortex Optics. It is true that much of their manufacturing has been overseas in China, Philippines, and Japan but that is about to change. Vortex broke ground on a new headquarters and manufacturing plant west of Madison, WI in May of 2016 that should be up and running by the spring of 2018 - their goal - to manufacture all or a majority of optics, specifically rifle scopes, in the new plant. http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/recreation/outdoors/jerry-davis-vortex-moving-headquarters-to-barneveld/article_dbc50ee3-34b7-5962-83e7-27c28377d4d5.html

I haven't owns a Vortex, but I'd consider it (all my scopes are Leupolds, except one Zeiss). Pete, which Vortex do you have on a .22 that you would suggest? I haven't looked, yet, so I don't know how many models there are.

Todd, I only own one scope and that is a very old Bushnell Scope Chief 2.5-8 on a Ruger #1. I shoot .22 open sites when I shoot it. I haven't shot a rifle in over ten years - all my hunting is either shotgun for birds or long bow for everything else. I do own a pair of Vortex Binos and know many people who do also. My friend at Vortex specializes in scopes more than binoculars so that is where I get most of my info.

Todd, I only own one scope and that is a very old Bushnell Scope Chief 2.5-8 on a Ruger #1. I shoot .22 open sites when I shoot it. I haven't shot a rifle in over ten years - all my hunting is either shotgun for birds or long bow for everything else. I do own a pair of Vortex Binos and know many people who do also. My friend at Vortex specializes in scopes more than binoculars so that is where I get most of my info.

Oh, sorry. I must have missed that part. I figured anyone with so much to say would have owned one. My bad.

Dwight, I bought my kids a couple of 10/22's, and I put the Nikon rimfire scopes on them. We got a decent set of mounts and have had no trouble. Once we got the scope dialed in...... both of them have stayed deadly accurate, and they've shot them a bunch. I haven't used the website to match the rounds, but it's pretty cool to be able to that. I would think it would suit your needs. Good luck, Jeff

Back