Road to Tuk almost done.

Yukon Mike

This report said there's only 56 km left to build. Planning to open 2017, originally they hoped for 2019.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/inuvik-tuktoyaktuk-highway-gravel-1.3411200

The reason this is so cool is it makes a hunt for Pacific Common Eiders and King Eiders a real possibility. The gravel road built in the 70's only goes as far as Inuvik which is way inland on the Mackenzie River, Tuk is right out on the Arctic Coast and there is a summering area for King Eiders east of it. I have been researching a dream hunt on the coast there for many many years.

As far as I know the NWT doesn't have any specific non res hunting bird hunting reg's. A Canadian Federal stamp is all that's needed to give it a try. That would be so cool.

My only regret about the whole road project is that the quiet little hamlet of Tuktoyaktuk is going to change so fast.

Mike

Mike, my understanding is that the Eider move early, but I don't know if that is move from inland to the coast or leave entirely early. The birding books I read say this and when I was in Deadhorse I didn't see any in August, but they are there earlier. Saw some impressive flocks of squaks on the Beaufort Sea, though.

Have any info for Tuk?

Hiya Tod,

Well, years ago I talked on the phone to a Canadian Wildlife Service woman who did a multi year study on the King EIders near Tuk and if I remember correctly, she said it was a mid summer drake hangout, and as soon as they molted and were ready to fly again they started heading west. Mid Aug. Does that sound right to you?

I don't know when opening day is in the NWT these days, I think for the N zone Yukon it is Aug 1. If its the same there a guy might have a chance at birds.

That would be a HECK of a long road trip for your family!

Yes, early August it would have to be in my understanding. Doing some research on migration dates around Barrow or Nome would give some idea. The info has to be out there with a few phone calls.

I don't think I'll be making it up for 2017. Would be pretty cool. I really enjoyed driving the Dalton highway and could have spent a whole summer on it, just picking along. The new road will be like a step back in time the first couple years... Lot of good fishing and hunting. I'll have to think about it. We don't have plans for summer 2017.

On the Dempster I have only driven as far north as the NWT border, twice. It is a long, slow drive. With my back situation the chances of me going to Tuk by vehicle is nil, but getting my own boat and decoys up to the coast with someone would be possible.

I'd have to fly here to Old Crow, to Inuvik, to Tuk probably. If I could help out with a whale hunt I'd be all over that one too. I think that's more of an early July thing though.

Just dreamin'.

Back