Rusty Resto Question

Paul,
That looks like a great resto job. Would love to see how you did that.

What did you blue with? Also, what did you use on the wood?

-Bill

If you look up mollasses for rust removal it is an interesting subject, it can do a fine job.
A friend and I played around with ia a little.

OliverNJ said:
Maybe try naval jelly. You could probably work it into the nooks and crannies with a small brush.

I was thinking naval jelly as well. Naval jelly will remove the rust, but blueing will also be removed (if any remains now).

Bill Burruss said:
Paul,
That looks like a great resto job. Would love to see how you did that.

What did you blue with? Also, what did you use on the wood?

-Bill

Thanks Bill.
So, in my least technical non-credentialed, novice-Gunsmith terms.......there are two kinds of rust. The first looks like consistent cinnamon that has an almost felt-like appearance and feel. The second, as demonstrated by the underside of the double, is the super rough, blistered type that, I swear, you can almost hear eating the metal right in front of you. The first type will almost always reveal a smooth metal surface beneath it when you use a wire wheel to remove it. What made that easy was that there was no rib. Once I literally got it down to mirror sheen metal, I cleaned it with alcohol and let it lean next to the wood stove while I prepped for blueing. I gave it one more wipe down of 000 steel wool (sometimes alcohol gets ashy) and then blued it with Brownells Oxpho-Blue https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/liquid-cold-bluing-chemicals/oxpho-blue--prod1072.aspx
You'll want to wipe away any drops to make it as consistent as you can with application. I think that one got three coats. When you have it where you want it, you can halt the process with a wipe down with alcohol and you should be done. The wood was varying degrees of steel wool to smooth and clean the surface. Two of Minwax "Dark Walnut" and then Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. Rub it on with your fingers and let it dry, then 000 wool, then repeat until you get the finish you want.

Here is an example of the very first gun I restored this way. You should absolutely try it if you have some beaters in your safe. It's very fulfilling.
View attachment RustyMossberg.jpegView attachment RestoMossberg 2.jpegView attachment IMG_1590.jpeg

Back