Sailing BBSB's

Tom Scholberg

For all you traditional BBSB guys, this months Wooden Boat magazine has a very good article about a sailing duck boat race out east . Personally I think it would be more exciting with a bunch of jacked up open exhaust 25's on them but that is what makes the world go round and round. Seriously it is a very interesting article and worth the read. Only half kidding about the outboards. ;-)

Not on the news stand yet.... still have Feb out. Due in news stands on or about the 25th....

Anyone have #47 from 1982? Articles on BBSB repair and restore according to the search engine. Dave

Last edited:
Hey Tom,
Well prior to reading your post, I wrote one as well about the article! I enjoyed the story as well.
I think we should sponsor a winter nationals race in the middle of January for the motorized hunters....
Maybe like a regatta with guns (hunters biathlon - motor, shoot, motor, shoot,) like sporting clays on the water.
Now THAT would be a kick, and I bet a lot of people wouldsign up for that....
Dave

Dave, At a Game Fair held every Aug. at a nearby game farm they do an abreviated biathalon like that only: row, set blocks, shoot , pick up and row back. Funny but I would sure go for a heads to head elimination of motor, set, shoot, send dog , pick up and MOTOR BACK. Doesn't that just set the imagination clipping along??? The Wooden Boat story was very interesting to this Midwesterner, I've seen sailboats on the lake and that is about as close as I get to a jib or sheet or whatever they call all those things.

Hey Tom,
Great minds think alike eh? That would be really fun to do something like that. Nobody sails a BBSB during duck season (come on - do you think the birds might spook?) Here in NJ we could throw in a clamming stop, since a lot of hunters run by (or over!) clam farms on the way out to their hunting spot, we should make them stop and rake a dozen clams, as station #4!
Dave

Annual LobsterFests, (hosted by Bill and Judy Wasson and Alvin Chase), we had a year where we had a lake available to us and did several "boat competitions".....including a (1) man Barnegat race....row out, set decoys, switch rowers and row back...best time wins....it was a blast.....Scull boat races as well.....

Steve

Back