saturday goose hunt

chris k

well i went out in the heat saturday on a solo goose hunt after work not much excitment had a flock come in and dropped four while chasing a cripple a pair of bald eagles came down and tried grabbing one of my geese never though i would see something like that in new jersey. after that i packed it in do to thunder storms rolling in. going to save up my goose meat and try making summer sausage anyone ever tried?

well i went out in the heat saturday on a solo goose hunt after work not much excitment had a flock come in and dropped four while chasing a cripple a pair of bald eagles came down and tried grabbing one of my geese never though i would see something like that in new jersey. after that i packed it in do to thunder storms rolling in. going to save up my goose meat and try making summer sausage anyone ever tried?

-Gotta be prepared. Next time bring some standard lead turkey loads. Deadly on eagles. Just make sure John Q. Law knows you're not using them to shoot waterfowl. That would be bad.

Congratulations on the geese. I am not so patiently waiting until Oct 11th for the duck opener. I have made Lebanon Bologna and Linguica from ducks. Don't shoot to many geese. Both have turned out very good. When I did the Lebanon bologna I also made some from beef and to my surprise nearly everybody who tried both prefered the duck over the beef. You will need to add some pork fat because the duck and goose is too lean. The bologna is kinda of a pain because it needs to ferment for 24 hrs then I smoked it for 3 days but it was worth it. I will be making more again this year for sure but a larger batch this time.

Hey chris, I'll text you a link to a pretty good video on summer sausage. It actually can be done with pretty minimal equipment. I'm probably going to try it this year as well.

Congrats Chris. The boy and I were out Saturday too. We saw some geese. Didn't get any to come our way but we sweated our butts off! The boy turned, looked at me and said, "Dad, I like hunting a lot better when it is cold." He was sitting there in silver basketball shorts, a camo short sleeve t-shirt and bare feet. The dogs were panting like crazy trying to stay cool.

Chad A

Lots of eagles in nj Chris. In south jersey, especially along delaware bay, they are common and if you want to go looking for them they are pretty easy to find.

Venison Summer Sausage

2 lbs ground venison
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp mustard powder
½ tsp garlic powder (or I use fresh ground garlic)
Worcestershire sauce (small amount)
2 ½ tbls Morton Tender Quick Salt
1 ½ tbls Liquid Smoke

Directions:
Combine all ingredients well and shape into rolls and wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Unwrap and bake on rack at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Re-wrap after it cools and refrigerate or freeze.

(Rolls should be cooked to 160 degrees F and measure ~ 6-8" in length and 2" in width.)

This is the recipe I use for all sorts of waterfowl. Just substitute the venison with a 50:50 mix of ground waterfowl and pork.

I have seen them on the Delaware but never Coltsneck hahaha and usually they steer clear these two must have been at the shore to long acting like seagulls. Hahahaha.

Back