Scissor blind with fastgrass for Jon Boat

quane

Here are some photos of a scissor blind for a 15FT G3 Jon boat.
Based on designs and ideas presented here (thanks Carl-AL!) and elsewhere..
Materials:
AL tube frame and X-members
L and T brackets
Lots of nuts & bolts
AL piano hinge 2.5" wide (cut to size needed)
D-clips
Pipe insulation across top
8 panels of fastgrass
Weed block - 36" wide, leftover from summer garden, used for wind block
plastic fence material 36" wide, leftover from leaf bin
Lots of zip ties

Folds down for travel

blind-folded-down-rear-view.gif

I bolted the 3.5X1.75 AL tube X-members to the gunnel, comes on/off in 10 min.
front-blind-up-corner.gif

U-shaped frame members are 1X1 AL 10FT long and about 46" tall

I used 8 panels of FastGrass, offset towards the back. The front panels reach up to the light bar on the bow, and cross to cover much of the back. I sandwiched the weed-block in between the fastgrass and the fence, and quilted it together. holds its shape well even when wet. Zip-tied a rope along the bottom, and tie off the front/back panels to the boat, so it doesn't blow up in the wind.

blind-up-rear-view.gif

I use cut camo to cover the light bar/anchor stuff. Not a great match, but works fine.

front-with-camo-cover.gif

Holes drilled in bars allow blind to be set at different heights. I like to have the water side (stbd) lower than the port, so i can see without standing.
Also drilled holes to hold in place when folded up for traveling.

front-blind-up-frame.gif

The design is a trade off between height and open center. I like a lower profile, and like to be able to move forward/aft in the boat and trade places with another in the boat, without too much trouble. This way the boat doesn't look like a barn on the water.
I wish I could get fastgrass panels that were only 36" tall -would be perfect.

It's a little cumbersome to motor with, but I am not going anywhere fast, so no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quayne2,

Looks good. Clever way to do the windblock.

Btw, you can trim some kinds of panels. I have the avery fastgrass (from 4-5 yrs ago now) and I trimmed the bottom foot off to use on my mod-v I had at the time. The 1'x4' scraps make good portable cover for a smaller boat.

Charlie

great job! definate improvement over the ones we made 10 years ago!

That looks good. You may want to connect the wind/weed block to the gunnel so wind doesn't enter there. Otherwise it will.

Hi there,
Thanks for your comments!
Actually, the low side is about shoulder high, so I can swing a gun across the water. Shouldn't be any problem sinking my decoys.
Maybe I should raise it a bit, as a safety factor to keep me from doing that...

rear-blind-up-2.gif

My math was off a bit on the wind screen, and a little does get through, ,but mostly up front. That side is usually up against the sod banks anyway.

blind-up-rear.gif

I may try to trim the shorter side panels - just worried about the whole thing unraveling like a cheap sweater..

Back