Sea Duck Hunting - Which Choke Tube

Sal P

I just booked a sea duck hunt (last minute cancellation) and won't have an opportunity to pattern my gun. Shooting a 28" barrel, using blindside & black cloud. Would welcome sea duck hunters thoughts.

I had a buddy that shot a rem 850 that was about 30 years old. Man, he could hit anything with that gun.

One day after watching him fold 3 birds in 3 shots I asked him, "what kind of choke do you have in that gun?"

He looked at the gun and said, "regular."

So, I'd recommend the "regular."

Hi Sal,
I'd think you couldn't go wrong with a modified choke,
give the outfitter a shout and he should set you on the right one to use

I am headed to Alaska after King Eiders. I bought Federal's answer to HeviShot for my ammo. Can I shoot that safely through an IM or F choke tube in a Citori?

Thanks,
Jeff Churan
Chillicothe, MO

I am headed to Alaska after King Eiders. I bought Federal's answer to HeviShot for my ammo. Can I shoot that safely through an IM or F choke tube in a Citori?

Thanks,
Jeff Churan
Chillicothe, MO

I think the best advice is to let them get in nice and close. That works great unless you have one of those guys in the boat that likes to make sure they shoot before anyone else does. Also, no kind of fancy shot or choke will help if you shoot all your birds in the ass.

T

I had a buddy that shot a rem 850 that was about 30 years old. Man, he could hit anything with that gun.

One day after watching him fold 3 birds in 3 shots I asked him, "what kind of choke do you have in that gun?"

He looked at the gun and said, "regular."

So, I'd recommend the "regular."

HAH! I had a good laugh at that one; something similar happened to me when I was quite young and started hunting :)

A modified choke with FastSteel 3" #2s. Let them get as close as possible before pulling the trigger. Feet down and just over the decoys is best. Eider have thick down, so getthing the pellets to penetrate at longer distances is tricky, if not impossible. You will just wound them.

If I had the money, I'd shoot only HeviShot on sea ducks. Stuff is deadly.

Nate

I'm with Brian...at least a Mod and Full preferred. You can always adjust your swing in tight with a full choke...that doesn't work the other way with a modified choke. They don't always decoy in tight...nice to be able to reach them if you need too! Have a great hunt.

Last edited:
I hunted with a buddy last weekend that was using an old rusty, finishless 870 express with a full choke tube that has never been changed and as he put it "fused" to the point it won't come out. But I can tell you one thing about that gun. He doesn't miss very often. I asked about his shooting skills and he said he usually goes out with 6 or 7 shells and gets his limit!

Thanks for the advice. I went with the modified. Guide said the birds would be in tight.

It was 50/50, some in real close, some were out there. Four of us shot our limit. All drakes
except two hens. We had a great time.

What was unusual was we were actually shooting down on the birds. We were on an island,
approximately thirty feet up and the birds were coming in real low to the water below our line of sight.

Once again thanks for the replys and hope everyone has a great end to their season.

Sal

Hey Jack,
I use mod all the time, you just gotta shoot the heads off when they get close !!!

I've always found that if they're using a full choke they don't hit many. Myself I use a full choke for everything . Thats all I have.

Back