September - What on your workbench?

Jim-

There are some beautiful calls in that group. I have really enjoyed the calls that I have purchased from you. I certainly have no need for another call, but with pictures like those, you make it difficult not to want another one.

Chad A

Ian-

I really like your blind redheads. I enjoy the simple block painted blind gunners. I would hunt over them any day of the week except Sunday and not be one bit ashamed of them.

Nice work. I wish you lots of luck this season.

Chad A

Thanks all. It will be hunted and I hope the owner takes lots of pics. I always request that but rarely do people come through for me.

Got some more work done on the "little brown duck" rig:

photo2-13.jpg

Chuck~

Those Teal already have lots of character! I cannot tell from the photos - are you using bottom boards or just keels? (A friend gave me a case of black cork last year - haven't decided what to make from it yet.

All the best,

SJS

Chuck~

Those Teal already have lots of character! I cannot tell from the photos - are you using bottom boards or just keels? (A friend gave me a case of black cork last year - haven't decided what to make from it yet.

All the best,

SJS

Steve

Thanks, the 8 from black cork have bottom boards. It started as a rig of 6. I kind of wanted to do more, but after the coot, thought better of it, then in cleaning I found 2 hunks of black cork I was saving for the teal rig that I forgot about, then in more cleaning I found a teal I had cut from tan cork probably 5 or 6 years ago. I didn't care for the head, plus there was a small check starting to show, so with a little tail trim and neck shelf modification, I made it fit in as the odd duck making a rig of 9. I'm toying with a small hardwood keel versus a pad weight on these. Almost every decoy I've ever made has had a keel, but I think the pad weight will maximize movement of these little deeks.

Best
Chuck

Bill - Nice diver rig!

Jim - Beautiful calls!

Ian - I am with Chad, nice traditional redheads.

Chuck - No skirt on these puppies??? Surely your going to at least burlap them???

Speaking of slumming, any stitching going on??? pg

Nope, no fancy stitchery.

Here are the 2 dozen coot I finished before the float at Dave's a couple weeks ago:

B5021369-AF53-483A-911F-E83E061B05DE.jpg

That got me in a teal mood too...so I cut our 6 teal plus a pair of Moakish cans...got to plane down some bottom and tail board material:

380823CA-D5AF-4267-A731-64027B237FCA.jpg

Then while cleaning the garage, I found two blocks of Mark's cork that I was saving for teal, so looks like I'll go with 8:

41051D7A-EE84-418F-9DC9-5156DDC1536D.jpg

Jode, I wait with baited breath to see those Blackduck take shape

Chuck

Tomato cages or an elaborate decoy body?

Cut out the black ducks and their heads today.......will start shaping this week and update..........
looking forward to the build buddy . Nothing better then getting dirty with your kids , love it . Bottom boards , tail inserts , keels ? Would love to find time to stop in and talk more about construction . Half inch dowles are the key to longevity . Enjoy the time with your daughter , they grow up way to fast ! Rick

Finally finished some projects I have been working on this summer. A few cork canvasbacks, a ringer (my first attempt) and a dozen canvasback Y-Boards for my rig this winter.

Thanks for the compliments. Those Y-Boards have been fun and I kept finding myself leaving the cork birds (which needed to be done) to do a little work on the Y-Boards. RLL, yes the cutouts are 1/4 inch pine plywood. I was worried about warping, but once cut out, primed and painted, they seem like they will be fine. Bob, yes, I made the hinges myself from metal duct work. I have to admit that I got the idea from a person who's name I can't remember at the Tuckerton decoy show last year.

Now that I know these two arrived safe in lower MI I can post the pictures.

More RB Mergansers. So much fun to carve and paint.

2014-09-01-Decoys-069.jpg

2014-09-01-Decoys-075.jpg

Back