September - Workbench

Geoff Vine

These Redheads are for Pat Gregory. Complete with keels per Pat's request...they are Brazilian Cherry with poured lead internal ballast. Decoys are cedar with oils.

15-RH02-2_zpsastvkwzi.jpg

15-RH02-3_zpsiwjpqsdo.jpg

15-RH02-5_zps1rjzmjlw.jpg

15-RH01-2_zpsrfmlipqr.jpg

15-RH01-3_zps1ytn8dyo.jpg

15-RH01-4_zpsg2kr1mmw.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Geoff~

Even though we are no where near September (!) - I think your birds definitely warrant the pole position! A great start to a great month - because it's full of anticipation....

Your subtle paint on those subtle curves - chock full of personality - is a wonder to behold.

All the best,

SJS

KILLERS and future classics. I'd huntem every chance that I got, cuz that's what they Are Made For. 2 thumbs way up, even though I'm not a fan of keels...

Channeling my inner Pat Gregory. First time with acrylics and can't believe how fast I painted it. Start to finish in an hour. Not real thrilled with the form I won't be using this pattern again.

Also did a pelican relief carving for my wife.

Geoff - Thank you so much for doing these. They will be baptized at Green Bay then on to Long Point.

Exceptional work. Can't wait to gun them. Pat

All~

Here's another pair of Bean's Coastals ready for discharge from Pencil Brook Rehab Center - headed on a transcontinental migration to the Left Coast.

Mallard%20pair%20D_zpsrydcjfha.jpg

Tom~ Nice work on that Pelican!

All the best,

SJS

Sorta of a different "Whats On Your Workbench" post....but here it is.
I was asked by the public library in Atlanta, Illinois to put up a carving/decoy display for the month of September. With the assistance of Pat Gregory I was able to display the stages of a blue wing teal being carved. Then a brief display of some historical working birds including a Perry Wilcoxen Pintail and finally some locally carved contemporary birds. Again the display is open to the public and I have been informed it is becoming very popular. Someday Ill figure out how to post a photo...so until then, I hope everyone has a safe season!

How many times as hunters have we seen this? A days bag hanging to age while waiting to be processed. A sad yet noble sight. My tribute to the Green Wing Teal we all love to hunt.

Mounted on an old barn door from my wife's Family farm in Maine.

What a treat for an early opening day. Wonderful redhead Geoff. Love that pelican, Tom. Sweet teal Jode. Nice work to all our craftsmen and artists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished a couple of Wood Ducks before school started back up. Hollow white cedar and oils. No sandpaper touched these birds. I wanted the knife marks/craftsmanship to show through. Hopefully, you all don't mind seeing another Wood Duck during Teal season!

Good morning, Spencer~

Very nice bird with an exceptional paint job - very subtle.

And - there's alot to be said for bypassing the sandpaper.

All the best,

SJS

Back