Share your dumbest hunting regulations

Mark W

MN

1. No hunting after 4:00 pm for the first 1/4 of the season
2. No open water hunting except for designated areas (2 lakes in the land of 10,000 lakes)

WI

1. Can't hunt in a spot where at least 1/2 of the boat is not concealed by vegetation that is attached to the bottom of the lake/river bed. All sorts of ruls as to how high, from what viewing angle etc.... Basically outlaws shore hunting if there is no vegetation in front of you.

There are mre I am certain.

Mark W

Shooting hours:

Open 1/2 hr before sunrise...

...but don't close 1/2 hr after sunset.

Instead, shooting hours close at sunset...

I can't figure out why...

Shooting hours:

Open 1/2 hr before sunrise...

...but don't close 1/2 hr after sunset.

Instead, shooting hours close at sunset...

I can't figure out why...

In Canada when we visit we can shoot 1/2 after sunset. Rarely can you see well enough to ID sex of a mallard in the last 1/2 hour but where we are it doesn't matter you can shoot 8 hens if you like. I would assume that would be part of it.

To the original question Michigan regs are fairly straight forward but Wisconsin on the other hand... yes the vegetation one is a bit foggy.

Luckily I live in a state with no "dumb" duck hunting rules, our rules basically mimic the federal rules.

Wisconsin Regulation: Canada Goose Permit Validation

When a Canada goose is killed and before it is carried by hand or transported in any manner, the hunter who killed the goose must validate their Canada goose permit.

For another person to have custody of your goose, besides validating his or her goose permit, they must have a note with hunters signature, address, number of birds involved, and dates.

What this means is you can't touch or carry another persons goose without the signed note back to the blind and your dog cannot retrieve another goose legally without the note.

And yes, I got a warning from a WI dnr officer for having my dog retrieve others geese.

Mike~

Is this Permit and the regs for some sort of Special Hunt?

Any idea what - from a resource conservation perspective - the reg is trying to accomplish?

All the best,

SJS

Yep, growing up in PA, no hunting on Sunday was a definite downer.

Mike-

At least you are not in Horicon Zone anymore!

Where did you get the 'ruling' on possession tagging from? I would ask for chapter and verse.

Regs only require permit validation and reporting within 48 hours for early season.

Tagging references custody of birds- and as I recall there is a clear distinction of when hunting stops and possession begins. Custody is not in the field unless you are collecting all the birds at the 'dog station'

Dennis P.

Back