Shotshells afield

Steve Sanford

All~

I was just organizing my gear for another trip to Long Island. And, the recent post about blind bags got me thinking. Here is something I have been doing for decades now - and it works for me in a variety of gunning situations. I grew up using a shell belt - and later wore one up high, woven through my wader straps. But, for a long time now, this is how I carry my shotshells afield.

No advanced degrees in Rocket Surgery are required. A roll of duct tape and a couple of minutes and the box will hold up through use.

I have found than an open box of shells - either next to me in a boat or on a shelf in a formal blind or simply on the bank next to me - is the handiest way to grab a bunch more when needed. The molded plastic divided boxes are fine for storage but the open structure works better for me. But - the plain cardboard shell box will quickly fall apart once it is no longer protected in its case. So, I just wrap the bottom and sides with duct tape. I usually put my ID on it just in case gunning partners are using the same brand - and I fold the side flaps in before re-filling it. The box will certainly last through a full season - and even more for my Goose or 20-gauge loads.

Sheel%20box%20a_zpsmobrwcxg.jpg

Shell%20box%20b_zpskluwrybx.jpg

Getting to and from the hunt, my shell boxes travel in a shoulder bag or plastic ammo box - but sometimes just in the pouch on the side of a slotted decoy bag.

Of course, I always stick 5 or so shells in a pocket or pouch for those times when I need to leave my hide and retrieve a downed bird.

All the best,

SJS

Steve,
I have been using the Case-Gard S25 plastic shell boxes with the hinged lid. I like the plastic box if it is raining or snowing. Also since I often carry a mix of duck and goose loads I can access any shell in the box when I open the lid. I haven't carried a cardboard box to the field since the 80's. I also like the fact that the shell boxes are available in different colors. I use green for steel and red for lead and they come in 12 and 20 ga. sizes.

I do not like shell belts or exposed shell loops. Thru the years I found that you can put marks on a gun with exposed brass and the shells get wet when it is raining or the vegetation is wet or frosty. My blind bag has shell pockets on the outside and they are handy right up till it starts raining.

I have toAgree with you on use of plastic shell boxes as you describe. Also allows you to keep lid closed but setting close at hand when the dog decides to shake off over top of shells. been useing those in place of the wrapped boxes for a long time after dealing with to many rusted up shells from water. At $3 or so each theyre a very good investment.

I like the flip top plastic boxes also. This year I never needed a fast reload ever. One reason I like them is I code the primers on non tox reloads with nail polish so I can have a couple different loads in the same box.

Have to agree on the plastic boxes. I love a duct tape solution as much as the next guy but my two styles of plastic box serve me very well.

Have to agree on the plastic boxes. I love a duct tape solution as much as the next guy but my two styles of plastic box serve me very well.

Not to pile on, but I use the plastic boxes too, BUT mine are wrapped in camouflage duct tape, so everyone wins.

As much as I love camo duck tape my plastic shell boxes are subject to my other favorite treatment- shake , rattle and spray. Apologies to Red Green

In the field, my shotshells "ride" inside the thickest resealable locking freezer bags I can find.

I am not very trusting of the ammo manufacturer's quality control efforts, particularly after watching the majority of the shot charge in a couple of boxes of Winchester Blind Side shotshells roll out of the end of the shell, due to faulty crimps.

Last edited:
In the field, my shotshells "ride" inside the thickest resealable locking freezer bags I can find.

I am not very trusting of the ammo manufacturer's quality control efforts, particularly after watching the most of the shot charge in a couple of boxes of Winchester Blind Side shotshells roll out of the end of the shell, due to faulty crimps.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

same here - but then- no one makes a box for short tens anyway

All of my shotgun shells are either in my coat pockets, pocket in my waders and or my shell box that I keep in my Mule. Oh, I forgot about the 2 boxes that I keep on top of my fuel tank for the Mule. That is called a hot ride.
Al

Steve, mine look like yours after a bit. I save the duck tape until the box starts to deteriorate though. My shells normally ride in a boat/blind bag and I prefer shooting tungsten matrix shells, so with only 10 rounds sometimes the box will last.

I like the 2 piece plastic boxes best but I haven't seen them for sale in a long time. I also use some hinged plastic boxes.

Once the first two or three are in the gun its no problem to pluck out more as needed, although the ammo usually goes from box to wader pocket to gun over the course of the hunt.

Back