since there were dead ducks in this one I didn't think it belonged on the WORK BENCH...

Steve Sutton

even though this is about the decoys and not the ducks.

Steve Sanford has been posting his gorgeous "burnt cork" work for a good while now most recently on Al's Mexican Duck......I tried the medium several years ago using a pair of heads that I carved with George Strunk, (anyone hat knows George will recognize the strong influence from him in the heads), taking hem to Maine on an EDIER FEST hunt and killed Blacks over them....since there are no Blacks in Washington they got put on the shelf and I forgot about them until Steve started posting "burnt offering" pictures.....

Had to do some digging around on the shelves to find them but was successful finally and ended up taking them to Florida where Dani and I shot over them in the Panhandle in some ponds that "long ago" a great friend friend who is now gone and I had shot Blacks, (rare in Florida).....no Blacks this past season but they'll stay in Tallahassee with Dani in the future so she can use them there in hopes of a repeat there....and will travel North with me when I return to Black Duck Country in the future.....

Gonna need some lessons from Steve on how to burn in that less than uniform pattern that he manages that make his birds look like they have feather groups.....

Burnt%20Cork%20pair-1pe_zpstojlczeq.jpg

Steve

Last edited:
Seriously ....I didn't get one of those ......My friend hmmmm

LOL

Nice stool

Last edited:
Like those do you Bob?.......there's a dozen Brant left.....the front one in the picture will make good packing in the box with those....

Steve

Hmmmmm I'll pass. I got the Master making me a pair of burnt Blacks but thanks for the offer buddy

Those look great, and so do the decoys. Teal hunting is one of my favorites but our birds are always all brown that time of the year. Now that Florida is officially in my service territory for work I might have to give it a go.

Any public marsh down there?

Kevin....where in Florida do you visit when you're there?........Teal, and Bluewings in particular, are far more common Central...you find them in the Northeast and the Pan Handle but not nearly as reliably...I should be back in Florida full time by the time the season rolls around so let me know when you're in the area in late Dec. / Jan. and I bet we can figure something out...
Thanks Bill....I'm happy with them.....wish I had George around for a couple of more head tutorials......though I do have at least two more heads that I did with him that will be Mottled's when I get to them....just need to figure out how to burn to a lighter color......

Steve

Go Steve! Nice birds!! I see some Shang Wheeler in those. You did George proud... Nice work and, love the traditional natural cork look...

Thanks for sharing Brother! Pat

What a great picture you posted, Steve. Glad you talked about burnt cork. I am patiently waiting for this fall to roll around so that I can use Steve's decoy.
Al

Back