Slug gun scope base ndr obviously

TimJ

Do those bases that mount on the receiver work?
My brother is looking for a scope base for his 870. Not looking for long range slug shooting just trying to make it easier for kids to use it. It is actually pretty accurate out to 70 yards with one brand of slug but you have to know how to hold over just right for that. He just wants something that will be accurate enough at the 40 yards and less that they see most of the deer. They hunt close to trails on narrow strips of woods.

Tim

Have shot dear for a few years using sabots that zero at 150 yards using a scope mounted base on my 870. I got it at Cabella's.

Tim, If you are looking at the base that slips over the reciever and bolts through the pin holes , they do work. Had one for years. I use one for turkeys w/ a red dot sight.

The side saddle mount should work just fine.
You can also have a gunsmith drill and tap the receiver if the gun isn't used for anything else.
If the gun isn't a full time slug gun your gunsmith should be able to make a cantilever mount off of the barrel.
I have a cantilever on my Ithaca, very accurate, and does not effect the gun if I need to change barrels.

Yes they work fine if mounted properly. The barrel drilled and tapped cantilever is the ultimate though.

I believe the cantilever mount has to be drilled to the barrel...how else would it attach? Weld?

On the range restrictions...we shoot deer out to 100 yards consistently with 870's. Some of the new slugs are darn accurate as far out as 150 but I wouldn't shoot that far personally. For a youngster or inexperienced shooter I would definitely keep the 50 to 75 range restrictions.

I tried a saddle mount with no success on a 20 guage 870. Was not usefull, would not hold zero, even as close as 50 yards.

I believe the cantilever mount has to be drilled to the barrel...how else would it attach? Weld?

On the range restrictions...we shoot deer out to 100 yards consistently with 870's. Some of the new slugs are darn accurate as far out as 150 but I wouldn't shoot that far personally. For a youngster or inexperienced shooter I would definitely keep the 50 to 75 range restrictions.

The cantilever is silver soldered to the barrel.
I drilled the reciever of my Rem 870 and installed a weaver base, shot many deer with the longest shot out to 75y.

I see...I thought they were drilled. I thought the the factory cantilevers were soldered but the aftermarket jobs were drilled...my bad.

Thank you all.
They are lucky the way the tree line along the river is they can hunt narrow areas and have close shots, as long as the wind is right. Sounds like there is a good chance of the saddle type base working at those ranges. I also saw a cantilever that mounts to the rib, looked interesting.

Tim

For $140 he can buy a mossberg smoothbore barrel with rifled sights that fits the 870 and for $190 he can get the rifled cantilever barrel from mossberg, those are mossberg retail prices, so you may be able to get them cheaper.

Cabelas has a mossberg barrel and scope combo for the 870 for $200, but it is backorderd.

the saddle reciever mounts work, but can be fussy, like if you take them off to clean the gun.

T

Other thought... There are a bunch of low-recoil slugs on the market today. Don't let/make a kid shoot regular slugs, it can do a lot of harm.

Yeah I saw that there are some low recoil slugs and at the ranges they shoot they should work fine.
I think he'll just try to get by this year and then find something a little better. I'm thinking one of those leather check pieces might be good too. It's not bad shooting slugs when you can have your check down on the stock but with the scope I think that will be tough.

Tim

Back