small mud buddy

Eric Esper

Does anyone have any experience with the small mud buddy motors powered by Robin engines? If so do you like it? Mud buddy shows one on a 4 rivers boat do they work well in that or simler boats(fat boy, Kara hummer)?PC140009_1_1.JPG
Tarrin want to hunt biiirrrddds!P2140102_1_1.JPG

He should chime in on this. Ira has posted photos of him using them on his DPs. I believe they did a flooded area hunt last year and the only way they were able to make the long trip in was with the mini long tails.

The lightest frame is an aluminum one made by Beavertail. If you are looking to just push a boat then you may not want a steel one.

Ed Askew also uses a mud buddy on one of his KARA Hummers. He says it works great.

Ed.

I recommend you try out a 5.5 HP Scavenger Backwater Motor. They easily outperform anything in their horsepower class and as an added bonus, are lower cost as well. They run off a pulley system like the expensive short tails which allows a 4x4 type gearing effect that provides MUCH MORE push with the small single cylinder motors. Very lightweight too.....

I own a 5.5 honda powere scavenger Its part of the mlb zack pack I'm trying to sell but I'm considering keeping it. I haven't been very happy with its performance on my mlb widgeon but I believe thats more a function of the widgeons weight and hull than the motor, which runs perfectly. I get 5 mph out of the widgeon with the scavenger and when I hit vegitation or mud I lose half or more. It bogs right down , more than I would expect and often gets stuck before I think it should. As I say The motor runs perfectly I just think it suffers due to the displacement hull and weight of the widgeon.

I own a 5.5 honda powere scavenger Its part of the mlb zack pack I'm trying to sell but I'm considering keeping it. I haven't been very happy with its performance on my mlb widgeon but I believe thats more a function of the widgeons weight and hull than the motor, which runs perfectly. I get 5 mph out of the widgeon with the scavenger and when I hit vegitation or mud I lose half or more. It bogs right down , more than I would expect and often gets stuck before I think it should. As I say The motor runs perfectly I just think it suffers due to the displacement hull and weight of the widgeon.

Wait until you try an alternative direct drive motor!!! A friend of mine has a 9 HP Go-Devil and my little 5.5 Scavenger runs rings around it. IMO switching brands in the small HP range will cost you money with a decrease in performance. Have you done everything possible in terms of set up adjustment? Mine pushes a 15 ft fiberglass sneak boat with a displacement hull 9 MPH on the GPS.

BTW, I've got a Barnegat Bay Sneakbox too, but have never powered it with a mud motor. I use a 2HP Honda outboard in shallow, big water. With a long handle extension to keep my weight forward it does an excellent job.....

First of all, let me make this very clear The mlb widgeon is a incredibly stout and well built boat and Mark and all the other MLB guys are truly great at customer service as well as being stand up excellent people. This boat is for sale because it does not suit where and how I hunt and I have decided I am unwilling to change. As it stands now I am going to sell the boat and trailer and hold on to the motor. I will play with the motor and see if its performance on other boats will change my opinion of it. I will be changing my variouse ads to reflect this. My scavenger has a shorter shaft that is made for shorter than 15 inch transoms according to Steve at Scavenger. I'm planning to try it on other boats this summer. We'll see. I've tried variouse adjustments and still get a labored 5 mph out of the 12 ft widgeon and 4.3 mph out of an empty 1436 jon. Thanks

I have a 4 rivers and a 5 hp outboard on it . I made a jack plate for it and lifted the motor maybe 4 or 5 inches . Than I tilt the motor in middle notch and I can run in shallow water until I run out of water to float the boat. Its still has the sharp turning ability and whole loy cheaper.

Last edited:
Back