Smokercraft transom repair

Carl

Staff member
She came apart easily, quality stainless fasteners. Aluminum is in good shape for a 1987 hull. Two spots where i will need some JB Weld. Otherwise sand, prime, new wood and put back together. Im going to see if a local boat shop has a scrap piece of 54x12x1.5 marine plywood.

View attachment 46D3043B-3349-479C-9D12-F0CB9872113C.jpegView attachment 0E0636F6-694B-4355-925E-B6FE0DBED767.jpegView attachment 4048DA83-8B66-43C9-9C27-93E406B0E802.jpegView attachment AAFE9DA1-45D6-4A53-8636-499BBB3F78F8.jpeg

Carl~

Good for you!

re new wood: If no 1.5 available, no reason not to put 2 3/4s or 3 1/2s together. Plenty of epoxy as a glue with lots of screws to serve as clamps. Screws can be removed and filled after the cure. In any event, I would seal all of the faces and edges with epoxy before installing.

All the best,

SJS

Steve, I was thinking the same thing. I just need to call around to local boat shops and see what they have.

I think I will also paint the bare aluminum too, I have some al primer left from our camper.

Don,t imagine your going to find single thickness of 1.5" plywood. Best bet is you,ll be laminateing 2 pieces of 3/4" together is my guess. Seal it especially good after epoxying together. Especially where you,ll be thru bolting. 5200 in each bolt hole when reinstalling them Sounds like you got lucky on the pin holing of aluminum , especially with salt water use.

Carl said:
She came apart easily, quality stainless fasteners. Aluminum is in good shape for a 1987 hull. Two spots where i will need some JB Weld. Otherwise sand, prime, new wood and put back together. Im going to see if a local boat shop has a scrap piece of 54x12x1.5 marine plywood.

Carl,

Back around 1998 I replaced the transom wood in my 1974 Starcraft. Not only did I need to replace the rotting wood, I wanted to beef the transom up a bit. Original transom thickness was 1 1/2 much like yours. I glued three layers (see link below for more info) together for an overall thickness of 2 1/8 inches. This new increased thickness was not compatible with several fittings and braces already in place. Therefore I solved that issue by using a router to mill down the areas on the exposed face of the new wood where there were interference issues. Those areas included the side braces, center brace, top trim cap and towing rings.

Considering that most plywood is undersize on actual thickness, two pieces of "3/4" may not be sufficient to match up to the brace and other components of your hull. Something for you to keep in mind when choosing the new replacement materials.

The link below is to a much earlier thread and a couple photos of my rebuild.
rebuild

Back