Sneakboat Dilemma

I've hunted in Mike SIDs rich built/sold duck invader 13 and it certainly hides better than my duck wrangler 15. I wouldn't want to hunt 2 with it all the time, it's low seating. Personally the DW15 is kind of a "best of both worlds" boat for my crew. It seats 3 with the blind up, though snug. It can handle big water, though it's not great for hustling in wake bigger than 2'. I can hide it in the marsh pretty easily with the exception of the moon tides. When sitting I have 3 normal height swivel chairs in it, no leg pain. I put a hydraulic jack plate on it and it gets very skinny. That being said, it still sticks out. Moon tides and short grass it's a big lump of grass. I've learned hunting with the roof on limits your vision, but the birds are also less wary. Since I started using the roof I've had mallards land literally feet off of the bow. So close I don't even know how to shoot them.

I now use it mostly for hunts that are bigger water, or a day when we do puddlers and sea ducks, or to tender for the layout in the bay. On calm days I can go into the real big water and shoot eider and other sea ducks that are harder to find close to shore, but it's no V hull.

For small hunts, or when I'm solo, I use a flat back canoe with a 2hp motor on it. Fast? No. Noisy? Yes. Shoot lots of birds? Definitely.

In a perfect world, where I'm a forester making the salary of a JP Morgan exec., I'd have a 21' dedicated sea duck boat, a boat like mine now, and two bbsbs for playing in small water, with the canoe for carry in only zones. Since that's not real life, I play the game I am now. My kids will start hunting next season, so a bigger boat may be required.

Like and short: no perfect boat unless you only hunt one area. Try your hand at a few.

There are also a lot of DW15s for sale right now in the NJ, NY, New England area on Facebook marketplace. Might be worth poking around if you wanted something that big

There are also a lot of DW15s for sale right now in the NJ, NY, New England area on Facebook marketplace. Might be worth poking around if you wanted something that big

There actually has been a bunch for sale. It's very interesting. For years there was 1 or 2 here and there. Last few months there has been at least 3-4 for sale. I actually know of one person selling one locally in NJ right now. Or at least, it was for sale not too long ago.

I could see myself one day upgrading to one a some point. Having a young son and then friends wanting to hunt, 3 people in the DI13 would be possible for a short time until my son gets bigger.

There are several for sale but the prices are pretty high. There are guys on FB Marketplace wanting more for their 13's than you can currently buy one new for

There are several for sale but the prices are pretty high. There are guys on FB Marketplace wanting more for their 13's than you can currently buy one new for

The price on the 13's is actually higher than the Roy high boats in some cases. Do consider that if it includes a motor, that may affect the price. If it has something like a new Yamaha 25 you're probably $3900-$4000 for the motor. I know I paid $4500 for mine last year, band new, which is rock bottom.

$8500 for the boat (outfitted how I would like to see)
$2500 for the trailer (honestly, I am out of touch with trailer pricing but this is my guess)
$4500 for a new Yamaha 25

$15,500 total

I cringe for folks buying these boats new. I paid not nearly even close to that for mine without a motor in 2020.

Having said that, they are a great rig that can hunt 2 guys and a dog comfortably and still hide.

The boats are $5500 new right now. Add flapper boards and you are at $6300. The other options can be done yourself for much cheaper. I'm not paying $250 for Nav Lights or $150 for a bilge pump when I can do those much much cheaper in my driveway. Heck even with every single option added they are $7475

That being said, there's a fella on marketplace wanting $6000 for his duck boss 13 hull only with no flappers. Literally asking more than what a brand new one costs.

It seems that lots of folks are out of touch with reality on the pricing of used rigs. I don't need a motor or a trailer, those bases are well covered. But the hull prices are sky high

The boats are $5500 new right now. Add flapper boards and you are at $6300. The other options can be done yourself for much cheaper. I'm not paying $250 for Nav Lights or $150 for a bilge pump when I can do those much much cheaper in my driveway. Heck even with every single option added they are $7475

That being said, there's a fella on marketplace wanting $6000 for his duck boss 13 hull only with no flappers. Literally asking more than what a brand new one costs.

It seems that lots of folks are out of touch with reality on the pricing of used rigs. I don't need a motor or a trailer, those bases are well covered. But the hull prices are sky high

I tend to agree with you but it's the supply and demand of it. I have no intentions of selling mine. However, if I did, it would probably fetch close to near $12k the way it sits with the motor.

I agree with the DB13. That's a bit high. Great boats but if you read on here, the re-design under the Invader line was partly to widen the bow. The hunter in the stern had plenty of room, hunter in the bow, not so much. So I would tend to agree with you on that being a high price without flaps. I will say, I did like the flapper design a little more on the old DB13.

I just realized 4rivers is running a "sale" of sorts on the boat. $1500 off. So total, the way I would see it outfitted, is $14,000 about with a motor. That's if you went new-everything.

There actually has been a bunch for sale. It's very interesting. For years there was 1 or 2 here and there. Last few months there has been at least 3-4 for sale. I actually know of one person selling one locally in NJ right now. Or at least, it was for sale not too long ago.

I could see myself one day upgrading to one a some point. Having a young son and then friends wanting to hunt, 3 people in the DI13 would be possible for a short time until my son gets bigger.
I think the folks who originally bought them finally are aging out of them, or the fact that most of the duckwranglers are 20 years old and it's time to fix things

I too hunt NJ. I hunt 3 different boats depending on the area and weather conditions, Hunt mostly alone
12ft Roy
13ft Momarsh Ftaboy DP
1240 County line.

Attachments

• Roy Boat.jpg
    Roy Boat.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 19
  • CB6.jpg
    CB6.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 20
  • County Line.jpg
    County Line.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 19
  • momarsh.jpg
    momarsh.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 20
There is, supposedly, a 14' South Bay variant. You are correct in that the smaller SB's will hunt 2 hunters but I have heard it's tight. They are great boats, just pushing it in terms room. Start adding decoys into the mix and it will get low on room really quick.

Your answer:

Duck Invader 13
Duck Boss 13 (little tighter in the bow, 1st generation invader)
Roy Schellenger 12 High Box (if you can find one for less than a small fortune)
Roy Schellenger 14 High (almost impossible to find)
One of Dave Clarks new Estuaries with flappers.

All those boats are/have been extremely popular in NJ. I personally hunt a Duck Invader 13. I am 210-215 lbs and have hunted with a buddy who is about that and his 100 lb black lab. Nothing is perfect but all the above boats essentially disappear when grassed. You're going to be looking at those style configurations to hunt 2 hunters.

Here is my Invader 13 in the recent snow, hunting NJ. My grassing is getting thin but as you can see, it still hides. Get one of the above boats, grass it up well with a combo of raffia and salt hay. You'll have a platform that can hide 2 hunters and a dog well. View attachment 54047
Good morning, Jay~

Two questions about your Invader:

1) What do you sit on? (Height thereof is my real question.)

2) What is the beam?

3) (as long as I'm asking questions....) How wide is the cockpit?

Thanks very much!

SJS

Good morning, Jay~

2) What is the beam?

Thanks very much!

SJS
Hey Steve.
These are the specs from my DI. I sit on a box which is about 12" high, about the same as a 3 gallon bucket, any lower and I can't stand up and shoot easily.
Screenshot_20240129_210813_Gallery.jpg

I'd like to add that the 36" x 84" is the top opening. So sitting in the boat you have more leg room than the 36" opening.

Good morning, Jay~

2) What is the beam?

Thanks very much!

SJS

Steve,

Mike beat me to it. I measured last night and my measurements are right there close with what he gave.

We originally sat on MoMarsh Invisiloungers which worked but were quite uncomfortable on the back after a while. Now we sit on Cabelas turkey chairs that fold. That was a game changer. I have the high flappers so the extra 4" the turkey chairs elevate you over the loungers is negligible.

I fold the turkey chairs up, tuck them under the gunnels, when not in use. I'm pleased with the setup.

Craig and Jay, this is great info, thank you both! Sounds like the Duck Invader/Duck Boss 13 is what I need. I talked to the new owner of the mold for the Duck Boss 13 about turnaround times and deposits and all that. Only a 1 month turnaround. I wish they were a little more affordable, but I understand the price of everything has went up.

Finally got around to dropping by the form. I was reading through this post and decided to touch base on a few of the things I read. Sorry Noah you got stuck with the reply.

I compared as close as I could “apples to apples”.

TDB classic - $20,899 (+ 4% surcharge)
Estuary 2 - $17,000
Banks Dominator - $17,810
Duck Boss 13 - $8,600

To add to this, we are now around a 3-4 month lead time. We will have the DB16 and the DB17 available (maybe this year), changing some of the molds.

I saw where someone said there’s only a few photos on the site. It’s beautiful isn’t it…? I’m hoping to get some better and more photos up there as soon as I can.

I’m open to any ideas, changes, options, whatever it may be. Taller flaps, different flap designs, accessory options, etc..

I am a huge stickler for making sure products that we manufacture are maintained and in solid working condition. If you have a Duck Boss that Tom built and it’s in need of some TLC don’t hesitate to call. I will get you set up with the correct stuff to make sure it’s repaired correctly. If you aren’t sure how to make the repairs, no problem, we can video chat and I can walk you through it.

I don’t answer the phone 100% of the time, but if you call and I don’t answer leave a voicemail or texting me is better. I will get back to you.

816-694-4955

Tom has been a huge help and is still building some of the parts for us.

I will try to hop back on this thread over the next week.

Thanks,
Broc

Good morning all,

New member here, brand new to the sneakboat world. I have joined some Facebook groups and talked to a couple guys already that I believe may be members here. My most sincere thanks to all that have helped me so far!

A friend and myself are in the market for a sneakboat, or possibly two. We are hunting the salt marsh of coastal NJ and our current equipment (jon boat and layout blinds) just isn't cutting it. We spend more time fighting the conditions than hunting.

I'd like to get some insight on one larger sneak boat vs. two. A boat like the South Bay duck boat seems perfect for the conditions we hunt, short coastal grasses and shallow water, but I'm not sure that it would house both of us while hunting. We are both 200-225 pound guys, and I have a great dog that I love having tag along.

I know a boat such as the TDB classic would fit both of us and the dog, but I think it would stick out like a sore thumb with its tall profile in the short grasses. We are mainly hunting the outgoing tide in the afternoons, so when we set up the water is typically pretty high.

Is there such a boat that could hunt both of us and hide well, or should we look at getting Two BBSB style boats? We travel a good ways to hunt so we would need to have some sort of double decker trailer if that were the case so we could take one truck.

Thanks in advance,
Noah
Take a ride in the back of local marinas. Check out the some of the hulls that are sitting around. The tops can be cut off and a sneak boat style deck can be put on. Totally custom for two and a dog. I did a 13' Whaler that worked out well for years. Just keep in mind to keep it low.

You can make any duck boat hide well.. just takes alot of time, hardwork and look at your surrounding environments most likely for you salt-hay as well.. Adapt and you can put the Queen Mary in a honey hole and have a banner day. I use a variety of sneakboats, meadow boxes, TDB's it's all about your own style. For what you seem to be looking for I would check out the Estuary III a bare boat is reasonable. TDB 14 classic's seem to be flooded in the market lately you can grab a nice package deal for around $7500-$8,000. If you want 2 guys + dog and hunt the saltmarsh like me that would be my options. Bob's Duck Invader 13' is also a great boat similar to a double-wide southbay.

IMG_4470.jpeg

IMG_4471.jpeg

IMG_4472.jpeg
Baur Boat 14’ 2-Man
IMG_2520.jpeg

14’ Double Wide SouthBay
IMG_4473.jpeg

Last edited:
Bob, that is an awesome rig you have there. Looks like you are able to tailor it to many different hunting situations.

Carl & Eric - unfortunately I am building a house this year, so building a boat probably isn't in the cards. Maybe one day!
Thanks Noah ! Did you make a decision yet ?

Good morning, Jay~

2) What is the beam?

Thanks very much!

SJS
Beam is 62”
Cockpit is 35” x 85”

A lot of people are using the low pro turkey seats to sit on. Alphs outdoors makes a nice one. But, I am working on a new set of flapper boards that will accommodate taller chairs.

Noah if you like gunning out of a classic barnegat if you could find one my fiberglass 12' would be great
best Bill

Attachments

• DDACC58A-D168-451E-BD5D-0518AEF3092D.jpeg
    DDACC58A-D168-451E-BD5D-0518AEF3092D.jpeg
    519 KB · Views: 11
Back