Snow Goose web tag

quane

Hi all,
I recently shot a few snow geese and one had a small (1/4" long) web tag on its right foot. Tag says: UL Y 150.
What does this mean? Of course it is some kind of research, but can you get any information back to the researchers?
I would like to know,

Dave

Dave,
No idea about what or who would be putting them on snow geese. I've heard of brant and harlequins with them though.

Hi all,
I recently shot a few snow geese and one had a small (1/4" long) web tag on its right foot. Tag says: UL Y 150.
What does this mean? Of course it is some kind of research, but can you get any information back to the researchers?
I would like to know,

Dave

If you didn't know, web tags are usually for banding babies when they are too small for a conventional band. Call the bird banding hotline, the records have the permittee's name.

Tod is right.

I shot a Canada in WV that was web tagged on the nest and banded later on at Pymatuning(SP?) in PA. I guess they just never caught that snow after it was big enough for a leg band.

My tag read "PGC 832" Pennsylvania Game Comission-#832.

The BBL had all of the data.

Is it a juvie or an adult?

-D

My cousin shot a banded honker in Illinois last season that had a regular leb band and also a little ring tagged through the web on the same foot. It had no numbers or anything. We never did figure out what the heck it was. The banding data paper said nothing of it.

Yes,
I already called the hotline and since they only deal with bands with 8 or 9 numbers, I was referred to a bird lab in the 301 area code. I Left a message, maybe I'll hear back.

It's an adult. I shot a juvie out of the same flock and it did not have a tag.

Capt. John - that is really odd, why would you put a tag on with no numbers? Was it on a private hunting farm?

Last edited:
No, it was shot in a picked corn field about 10 miles east of the Quad Cities. Just a random bird out of a huge late season flock.

Back