Snowshoe Hare--shotgun suggestions

Jeff Reardon

Supporter
In a few weeks, I'll be on my first ever snowshoe hare hunt. We'll be hunting over hounds (beagles, I think, but not sure) in northern Maine on snowshoes.

I've never hunted hares (or anything else that runs on the ground) so am looking for shotgun and choke suggestions.

My options:

In 12 ga: 870 pump gun or Beretta semi
In 20 ga: 1187 semi; light and short OU

All things considered, I think this hunt will involve a bunch of snowshoeing in thick cover, which argues for the nice light 20 O/U. Or do I want a larger pattern and/or a third shot? The pump and both semis are a lot heavier to carry.

All have screw in chokes that run from IC or skeet through full.

Suggestions?

Jeff, If it's anything like rabbit hunting down here, you want as light and short of a shotgun as possible. Most shots are snap shots , very little time to shoulder properly and aim. Snow shoes, shotguns, and hounds. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Jeff,

I have hunted lots of cottontails over beagles and labs. I used to hunt some snowshoe rabbits when I lived farther north. My favorite gun is a 20 ga. 870 choked full (modified will work) shooting high brass 1 ounce load of #6 lead at 1220 fps. Years ago I killed lots of rabbits with a 3" .410 choked full with lead #6. I know they recommend open chokes for rabbits but I like a full choke best and I have no trouble killing them. With an open choke I get more cripples. I grew up hunting rabbits and pheasants with beagles, it's a great time.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff, Both guns have their pros. When I hunted in Rangeley the rabbits could be from 5yds to 60yds, we hunted a lot of old cuts and such where rabbit crossings were frequent and sometimes distant. The good thing is that they're not very hardy and you only need a couple pellets to kill them or certainly slow them for the dogs. On those days, I always carried my 12 with 7-1/2 shot and a couple 6's for the long option if I was on a trail or such. If those aren't going to be options and it's mostly woods hunting you'll be doing then I would go with your 20 and 7-1/2 high brass or 6 high brass. Modified or Imp/Mod would be fine. Good luck and have fun. I miss not having my hounds, especially on those days when you can reach down and make a snowball. Enjoy!

Thanks, all.

Troy, this is actually the trip I contacted you about a couple of years ago, just after you stopped guiding hare hunts. It's taken us a while to actually get a date on the calendar!

I've never paid a guide to hunt before, but it's a pretty reasonable rate for meals, room and a half day hunt, so we're going to splurge. I wish I knew someone with hounds.

Beats pickerel fishing, no matter what!

Jeff:
Good luck on your upcoming snowshoe hare hunt. I think your 20 gauge 1187 is your best option. If you can use lead shot, the #6 shot mentioned previously would work well. If steel is required, try #4's. I recommend using a modified choke. If you have an option on snowshoes, use the largest size that will fit the terrain. It's far more enjoyable to walk on the snow rather than through it.

I don't have beagles but my Griffon and Pudelpointer work rabbits well. They make high pitched yipps when they get on a fresh trail. I prefer traditional ash/rawhide snowshoes and use the longest ones I can find. My 20 gauge SxS weighs about 6 pounds so I can carry it for several hours if need be. I find that I need to dress in such a way that I'm a little cold starting out to avoid overheating.

View attachment rabbithuntinggear.jpg

Jeff:
. If you have an option on snowshoes, use the largest size that will fit the terrain. It's far more enjoyable to walk on the snow rather than through it.

Thanks, Steve. I have a brand new pair of 16X48 Maine snowshoes--pretty much the same design as "Michigan" shoes in the mid West or "Hurons" in Canada. Truth is, unless we finally get real snow, I probably won't need more than mud boots. Less than a foot of snowpack right now, even up north.

Hopefully you'll have a good time and I agree, a whole lot better than catching pickerel. Here are some photo's just start the juices flowing.
Again, hope you have a great time!

This photo is from Rangeley, those were great days!

Getting ready to head out for the day.

Lunch...

I think this was probably the last hunt with my hounds, Sammy and Sarah, before I got rid of them.

That's what I'm looking for, Troy! Sure you can't get a pair of beagles up and running by mid March?

Jeff:
Good luck on your upcoming snowshoe hare hunt. I think your 20 gauge 1187 is your best option. If you can use lead shot, the #6 shot mentioned previously would work well. If steel is required, try #4's. I recommend using a modified choke. If you have an option on snowshoes, use the largest size that will fit the terrain. It's far more enjoyable to walk on the snow rather than through it.

I don't have beagles but my Griffon and Pudelpointer work rabbits well. They make high pitched yipps when they get on a fresh trail. I prefer traditional ash/rawhide snowshoes and use the longest ones I can find. My 20 gauge SxS weighs about 6 pounds so I can carry it for several hours if need be. I find that I need to dress in such a way that I'm a little cold starting out to avoid overheating.

While everyone has given good advice, I tend to agree with Steve Horswell. I've hunted a LOT of cottontail rabbits behind beagles over the past 50 years. Steve gives good, solid advice.

I think Hares will behave much the same. A good pack of beagles that aren't running too fast should circle the Hares back around once they are jumped up.

Enjoy ! Post some pictures of your hunt !

Troy, I found myself looking for Pearl! Great pictures. I sure enjoyed looking at them. Thank you.
Al

Jeff, I do not have any advice as I have not hunted rabbits over dogs. I only have envy and a requests. The request is a full story of the trip. While I am at it the story of the bone fishing trip would be great as well.

IMO, tight chokes are key. Hare brains are kinda small and who wants a bunch of stray pellets in the body?

Great photo's!

For "Wabbits" with or without dogs, I use a 1100 Special Field 20ga. IC, (first year Remington brought them out) 6's or 4's. This shotgun comes up and on target so fast, it amazes me.

For "Big Bunnies", a Model 12, 16ga. Mod., 6's or 4's. The shots are longer and a very good pattern does the job.

I use larger shot cuz I hate to pick out, or eat lots of small BB's. Sometimes I've even used 2's, with very good results.

For me hunting Rabbits with good dogs, is about as much Fun as a hunter can have with their clothes on. The sideways glance that a dog gives you when you Miss... and they have to work like hell again, to bring the rabbit around. Makes ya hang yer head in shame.

Don't even get me started about a piping hot pot of Rabbit Cacciatore, making the kitchen smell good and my mouth water.

I'd carry the O/U and choke tubes. That way you can have a tight and an open barrel til you determine what is best. I always carried a M/F gun but the real bunny hunters used no choke at all. John

I will have fun attempting to apply all of this advice at the same time.

Sounds like I need a 3 barrel gun (20/16/12) with chokes ranging from spreader loads to extra full, shooting a mix of high brass #5's and #7.5 light target loads. Got it . . . . .

Just have to figure out how to sort the shells so I don't drop a 20 into the 12 gauge chamber.

Back