Snowshoe Hare--shotgun suggestions

I'm surprised that no one mentioned a .22, like a Ruger 10/22. Several year's back that's all we carried were 10/22's when hunting rabbits, including snowshoe s. We had a beagle that would go all day long, it was a lot of fun.

BTW carry 2 clips and a pocket full of shells.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned a .22, like a Ruger 10/22. Several year's back that's all we carried were 10/22's when hunting rabbits, including snowshoe s. We had a beagle that would go all day long, it was a lot of fun.

BTW carry 2 clips and a pocket full of shells.

Alas, my only 22 is an old shooting gallery Winchester pump rifle. Cool gun, light to carry, but less accurate than your average pea shooter.

I can't help it, I have to type something - Have you talked with the person who best knows? The guide/dog owner? He should be able to tell you the typical shot, distance and quickness required. Since he hasn't hunted with you and not knowing your skill set, he may want to protect his dogs, and prefer you use tight chokes and smaller shot size, in lighter loads. Never huts to show the guide you care and respect his opinion.

Scott

Scott, we'll definitely do that, and I'll have both a 12 and a 20 with me when we go, but hearing all these opinions is way more fun!

My buddy on the trip just pointed out this related thread on another forum, which brings even more ideas (and two other continents and more species of lagomorph) to the discussion. In addition to all the ideas above, it adds .222 rifles and .25 cal flintlocks to my options.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=428771

Maybe I need to go gun shopping.

Back