Sora rail hunt on YouTube

Rick Henderson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54nIBbQWSO8&feature=youtube_gdata_player. Best four hour hunt in my opinion . Short shirts , 25 bird bag limit and fast and furious shooting . Can't sleep thinking about this weeks full moon big tides .The sora rail can be challenging at times in the wind but are usually to easy of a shot and most overshoot them in the beginning.

FANTASTIC!

I have hunted them walking before but always wanted to try poling for them. I didn't realize you would beat the brush with the pole.

I like the throwable bird markers, those look like they would keep it interesting.

Rick,

I really appreciate you sharing that video. I have thought about giving rail bird hunting a try because of the tradition here in SJ. Plus any reason to hang out in the marsh in a boat exploring is good enough for me.

I agree on the orange bird marking dummies. That is a great idea. I would love to build a rail bird skiff like the ones you guys are using too.

Chad A

While that cool wooden boat is the dream craft for rail hunting some of the new sit on top kayaks would work also. Several companies are making big enough kayaks for two people to stand and pole.

Of course there is the cost of the kayak but it is a much more flexible craft (think fishing) than the marsh boat in the video.

I have found that my one man sit on top matched with a kayak paddle does the same thing as the long pole. The natural use of the kayak paddle creates enough havoc in the grass to unsettle the birds and get them to move.

And like the one brother said, "any excuse to be out in the marsh in a boat is good enough."

Larry

A Merrymeeting scull boat makes a great rail poling platform. It would go a little better with a flatter bottom and the skeg removed, but it's a lot better than anything else in my fleet. Depending on how the ducks fly, I may be poking around for them on Friday.

Any keel or stakes make life a bitch when you need to turn around to get a downed bird . You can do it in all sorts of boats but to do it right you need the right boat . The bigger tides help a lot but don't get caught with your pants down when the tide starts to drop !

Rick,
Tell is more about the boat you guys were using. After all this is the duckboats site. Was it built off plans, bought or built on your own design?

Great question. I want to know, too.

I have a buddy who built a glass over marine plywood skiff that was the best boat I have hunted rails out of. Maybe 16 feet, very light to hand carry, and similar to the one in the video.

I think he modified plans he found somewhere for a boat called a "rail bird skiff".

Maybe one of these:
http://www.taubmansonline.co/CBMRAILBIRDSKIFF.htm

http://traditionalsmallcraft.com/Railbird.html

After you shoot rails in the meadows that Rick hunts, you will want to use a boat just like his. There is a reason those boats are made like that, they are the best way to do it.

The first boat we built was in 1985 , a design out of my pops head . He has seen enough of them in his time to know what is good and what is bad . He never was much on following plans , he would change most of them anyway . Cedar sides and a plywood bottom was the quickest and cheapest . At the time he was following a dream he had from his high school days . He wrote in his yearboook that he wanted to be a guide for waterfowlers . After the first boat was built he got me on it and in no time we where on our way . My first client was a man from long island , I could not get it through my mind that a man would come all the way from new york just to go railbirding with us . That was just the begining of it ! We built and bought more skiffs and build up a client list that was just impossible to keep up with . The later boats were all cedar with sassafras frames . Put together dry , numbered and took apart . Each piece was treated with epoxy ( west system ) and put back together with thickened epoxy . A lot of work but in the end we patched and painted the first one every year up until we sold it and the later ones got hosed off and they were ready . My last one I made out of fiberglass . I built a plywood form and cold molded it . Two piece , hull and deck . It worked great . I built the hull a little bit heavy , but its the beast . Drag it down the street if you have two . Pop has passed now but not before he fullfilled his dream . He sold the book and the boats after he lost his eye sight , I was working crazy hours and had a family so one of our other guides bought it and promised to keep it alive .

Me pop and elise after a hunt . I'll have to look for better photos of the skiffs . Elise is now running the show and even built a few skiffs off of the jig my pop made to help spring the sides . Photo didn't show , hafta go about it I wit way tmw

View attachment IMG_0790.JPG

Last edited:
Here's some of Ricks Pictures

Ricks all glass skiff

Fancy square back with all the bells and whistles . Most likely hanging in a garage covered with sheets .

Me pop and Elise after a hunt .

Scaled down model of a rail skiff

Back