South Bay Lighting Ideas

Mark W said:
Last tip. On the side that unscrews, loosen that cap a turn or so when not using the headlamp.
Thanks Mark, I'll be careful, I never would have thought it got that hot.

Question about the last tip, why loosen the cap?

Mike

One reason to loosen the cap. It preserves the battery in a couple of ways. If there is any leakage, the battery will be dead when you need it most. And secondly it is this leakage that causes corrosion that I am sure you have seen in other devices. By loosening the cap no current can flow.

I?m not religious about doing this every time but I do it when I know the headlamp won?t be used in awhile.

This is what I was told by someone by the way

Last edited:
I followed Steve's advice
View attachment 20201017_190231.jpg

Steve Sanford said:
Blake~

I have used these battery (4 AAs) navigation lights made for inflatables. I keep them in my tool kit and install them only when I will be running in the dark. I used to rely on a handheld lantern but everybody on LI tells me that bay constables are more finicky these days.

Here's the bow light. It fits into a socket on the central thatch rail up forward.

I mount the stern light in a socket edto the outboard cowling (don't trust suction cups alone - esp. not in freezing weather). The law says the stern light is supposed to be above the head of the helmsman, etc - but I first saw such an installation on a law enforcement vessel. They are out-of-the-way - a big consideration when handling decoys and such.

I will look up the brand and source after my nap (been up since 2:00 AM). I do not recommend the cheaper, D-cell clamp-on nav lights I have seen.

All the best,

SJS

Back