South Bay Spa Treatment - 2018 #1

Steve how did you fasten the grass rails down? What was the width and thickness of the grass rails? I redid mine years ago and some broke.

Only thing that is nice is the cabela guide on [hot dipped] that keep my lights out of the water. Never had a light problem since. Have then on two trailers...
Great work...

Good morning, Rich~

The thatch rails on the boat are mostly stock. They are 3/4" x 1/2" White Oak - all fastened with 1.5" #10 sheet metal screws. They use 3/16" nylon spacers (washers). When I re-attached a few of the rails, I squirted a bit of 3M 5200 in each screw hole - to act a a "glue" and to waterproof the hole.

I made the thatch rails on the flap boards and spray shield -from 5/4 Philippine Mahogany. They are ~1/2" thick with 3/16" spacer blocks. All are fastened with brass FH machine screws - w/washers and nuts. I seal them with spar varnish before installing.

I prefer to through-bolt thatch rails whenever it's practical. On this vessel, a heavy (2" ?) layer of foam had been sprayed on the underside of the deck. So, I stuck with the sheet metal screws.

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, All~

This South Bay headed home yesterday.

One last-minute task was to replace the winch "cable" once again. I had replaced the frayed white polypropylene line with black nylon. However, I made a "fatal" mistake. When I completed the eye splice on the nylon, I briefly flashed the raw ends with the Bernzomatic.

Well, I evidently gave it a bit too much of a "flash". I had rolled the vessel off the trailer so I could install new lights. When I went to winch her back on the next day, the splice immediately popped - right where I had hit it with the torch. The heat had weakened the rope dramatically (and I was not disposed to photograph the "wreckage".....).

Since I was never truly content using the nylon - famously stretchy and useful for many other applications - as a winch cable, I readily reverted to new polypropylene. The poly does not stretch much - but it is prone to fraying and putting little plastic splinters into un-gloved hands.

View attachment sm SBay 41.JPG

I did splice another length of the nylon for a "hold down" just beneath the bow eye. Ragged ends were whipped with waxed nylon twine.

View attachment sm SBay 42.JPG

The owner secured the boat on the trailer otherwise - and enjoyed a nice drive home, on a gorgeous late-Summer day.

View attachment sm SBay 43 - road ready BLURRED.JPG

I hope the next time I see this boat it will be covered with Salt Hay - and maybe a Black Duck or two.

All the best,

SJS

View attachment sm SBay 43 - road ready.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, Tom!

BTW: Your Brant silhouettes are well along - all legs installed and fully primed. A step-by-step post will follow in a week or two.

All the best,

SJS

Back