Spinning decoys

Does anyone have anything good, bad or indifferent about non motor spinning decoys. I.E. Mojo, edge, etc... (I'm not trying to upset the purists here). I have a mojo battery operated but the battery died. And haven't gotten around to ordering a new one. Thought I'd try a non motor type but don't know how well they work. I don't get out as much as I'd like due to work and am looking to increase/maintain odds when I do. Plus I hunt mainly public areas and need to compete with others. Appreciate any feedback..

some guys on here love them, some guys on here HATE them... so you are going to hear a lot of opinions. Let the great debate begin...

Hehehehe.....

Always start with a search - then you would know that Tod is a HUGE spinner fan.

Last edited:
I doubt that you will see a debate here since everyone is so tired about talking about this crap. You are beating a dead horse. Best bet is to search the archive and gathe some opinions on the topic there.

I have hunted with a non-moto duck a few times. They work well when new and the wind is blowing some(doesn't take a lot but a nice steady breeze). Maybe if you keep therm well lubed they will last a while, not sure they weren't mine. Light morning breezes don't do much for them but I don't think ducks spook from them when not spinning. I'd try a black and white flag for calm days.
BTW When I say "work well" I mean they spin and flash like moto ducks do, not that I thought much more came to them.

Tim

I use 2 in my spread but only when it's windy. I shoot on the foreshore and often the ducks ESP singles will see them due to the White flashing will come and have a look then see my spread. I put mine away from my decoy floating spread. Just to bring birds closer so they see my floating spread which are just off the mud flats/creeks. I have used kites and flappers but for me non moterised spinners work but as I say only if there is wind if they don't move they have the adverse effect. But as has been said everyone has a different opinion also they are very new over here in the uk and Europe only in the last 8years can you get them here. Before I had to get them cabelas. So perhaps the ducks are just not used to them yet. For about the last 20years we have used motion decoys whilst pigeon shooting and at first they were fantastic then it seems now birds will often flair away from them so perhaps we have that to come with the ducks.

I heard a rumor that this will be offered as the next DHBP traveling decoy.
vortex.jpg

Right now it is just a rumor tho. :>) :>)

Last edited:
Does anyone have anything good, bad or indifferent about non motor spinning decoys. I.E. Mojo, edge, etc... (I'm not trying to upset the purists here). I have a mojo battery operated but the battery died. And haven't gotten around to ordering a new one. Thought I'd try a non motor type but don't know how well they work. I don't get out as much as I'd like due to work and am looking to increase/maintain odds when I do. Plus I hunt mainly public areas and need to compete with others. Appreciate any feedback..

I think a couple things are funny here...First, that every couple months, someone will post a question like this thinking their question is different than the last guys insuch a way that it will be met with a candid, forthright discussion of the pros and cons rather than a bunch of poo slinging. Second, I find it humorous that Tod gets the gruff for hating spinning wing decoys so much. I think a better debate would be who hate spinners more...Tod, Eric or myself...or perhaps you want to nominate someone else for contention to this position of prestige?

Chris, best of luck in the upcoming season, but honestly, if there is enough wind to make you little spinner go round and round, there is likely enough to make your decoy spread look alive too. My advise is Dare to be different in the look of your spread, and also, do a seasch like the others said, but this time type in "jerk string"...hope that helps...

IMG_20111224_174006.jpg

Best
Chuck

Chris, best of luck in the upcoming season, but honestly, if there is enough wind to make you little spinner go round and round, there is likely enough to make your decoy spread look alive too. My advise is Dare to be different in the look of your spread, and also, do a seasch like the others said, but this time type in "jerk string"...hope that helps...

I think Chuck hit it on the head. If everyone else in the marsh is using spinners, maybe being the guy not using one is the better way to go. If its flat calm, a jerk string with a couple of feeder butts on it will make more realistic motion in the spread anyway.

All the areas I hunt are public waters with lots of pressure. I have never used a spinner and always seem to do just as good or better than the other guys. WHy? I know where the ducks want to be on the given tide & wind state and use a realistic spread for the birds I am targeting.

I think a couple things are funny here...First, that every couple months, someone will post a question like this thinking their question is different than the last guys insuch a way that it will be met with a candid, forthright discussion of the pros and cons rather than a bunch of poo slinging. Second, I find it humorous that Tod gets the gruff for hating spinning wing decoys so much. I think a better debate would be who hate spinners more...Tod, Eric or myself...or perhaps you want to nominate someone else for contention to this position of prestige?

There are lots of folks who don't like them, me included. I just like busting Tod's onions on this one.

Chuck doesn't like spinners? And Tod too?

Got the latest Cabela's waterfowl catalog yesterday, what a way to wind down after a day of work. As I was paging through it a couple of things hit me - the number of motorized decoys and they way each manufacturer tries to make theirs a litle different, and the number of new jerk string contraptions (new to me anyway). What does surprise me is that no one has made a more realistic jerk string. They all work the same way and pull the ducks towards you when the string is pulled, and the ducks return to their resting position when the string is relaxed.

Why doesn't someone make one that when you pull the string the duck tips up like it is feeding (with a realistic looking duck bottom when it feeds) and then returns to the floating position whne relaxed? I freely give this idea out for anyone who wants to make one. I think this would be way cool.

Maybe it already exists.

Mark W

There are lots of folks who don't like them, me included. I just like busting Tod's onions on this one.

So Ryan, you nominating yourself? You've got some pretty stiff competition...

If I had my choice I would outlaw them but unfortunately in my area they are very very popular. I wouldn't be surprised if 75% or more are using them so that makes it tough for the ones who don't. As for the wind mojos, I think they are ok if you have plenty of wind. I also think they work well with motorized ones because of the difference in wing speed rotation.

You mean a discussion of spinning wing decoys beyond the inherent nasty-ness of having a battery operated chintzy plastic decoy in your spread and using a decoy that you have to sodomize with a metal pole under the light of the moon as a matter of course in setting it up????

If you have the luxury of being able to move, and set up where the birds want to work, then a spinner is likely not worth the effort. If however, you are regulated to a fixed blind location, and are trying to lure passing birds to give you a look, and into range, then the added visibility can be beneficial. They can be a PITA, bulky if you use a floating frame, sometimes not worth the trouble. Years ago, when they first came out... when I saw someone in the marsh with one, and they were getting shooting and I was not... I wanted them outlawed! I was a guest once with one back then, a spinner drake mallard, and a hen decoy floating near by, and I was amazed at how the birds pitched in. I don't think they work nearly as well for puddle ducks anymore, though I think they still work OK for divers in my experience at least.

To not get into the whole pro/con thing the only two cents I can throw in on them is that I've seen them to only work if you're hunting an area that is obscured from the birds view like flooded timber. Somewhere they can't get a good look at whatever spread you have out until it's too late. Motion decoys in big open marshes plus black ducks... not going to work.

To not get into the whole pro/con thing the only two cents I can throw in on them is that I've seen them to only work if you're hunting an area that is obscured from the birds view like flooded timber. Somewhere they can't get a good look at whatever spread you have out until it's too late. Motion decoys in big open marshes plus black ducks... not going to work.
I will say this has not been my experience with them. I personally don't own or utilize one in my spread, but have gunned over them in the past. The absolute best use of them is positioning birds in a dry field situation for multiple shooters. i would argue that in that case, the birds actually have the best possible view of the spread, but they are "keyed" to follow an already landing bird into a particular spot. In dry field situations i have seen a spinner "place" landing birds in a particular spot repeatedly, which allowed all gunners in a large party to be presented with favorable shots, in a safe manner.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no changing people's mind on this issue so these discussions achieve nothing, except maybe regergitating pro/con arguments so that they won't be forgotten and can be used down the road. Same old same old.

Having said that one of the greatest things about teaching your own kids to hunt is you get to instill your hunting values/ethics in them. I don't think you will ever hear my son make an argument for electronic decoys. I feel pretty good about that.

Back