SSWA DUCKBOAT SHOW - my newest "excuse": Bold talk from a one-eyed fat man ?

Sorry to hear this Steve, hope you and the others that have mentioned problems get better and quickly.

Your words definitely makes one appreciate where they are at and what they have because in a blink of an eye it can be gone.

Steve -

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Everyday is a gift, but at our age - "It's always something." - Rosanna Rosannadanna

May the Good Lord, the good doctors and staff correct your problem.

Your courage, faith, and sense of humor will get you through this.

As for "getting there".

Many of us have that concern, for a host of different reasons, and once we are there, "getting back" looms ahead...

Best regards
Vince

Steve, I am so sorry to hear of your new challenge.
I will keep you in my prayers. You will come through this and do well. I have faith in your determination.

One of my brothers, Scott, literally lost an eye when a city owned brush hog tore off a chunk of metal from a guy wire and flung it.
Scott had just pulled away from a stop sign and the metal shattered the passenger window, barely missing his pregnant wife and his daughter and the metal impacted his eye and jaw.
He has recovered well, has a great attitude, works full time as a grease monkey ( automotive technician...according to him) and he?s one of my heroes.

As always, you make the best out of every situation.
God bless,
Lou

Steven,
May the doctors and our Lord find a way to get that grey southwester off the starboard bow sent to some far away marsh.

Keep us posted.

The Lord be with you brother,
Larry Eckart

Well, Sanford, you can always take up shooting left handed![angelic][;)]
Hope all goes well and the eye returns to regular function. God Bless.

[size 4]Wow, Steve!
Sorry to hear about this coming out of the blue for you. Will keep you in my thoughts & prayers. Hoping everything resolves itself and that you are able to get back to all the pursuits you love at full bore!

Steve,

Sorry this happened to you. Will keep you in my prayers and will remain optimistic for you that the problem can and will be corrected.

Zane

Steve;
wish you all the best & full recovery!
I certainly hope you can use your God given talents again - your decoy paintings are truly an inspiration to all of us!

take care!
Bruce
Erie, PA

You know Steve, an eye patch would kinda make you look like a pirate. RRRRgh!
Kidding aside, get well soon.

Sorry to hear about this Steve, you have it all in perspective but still a tough blow to deal with.
Prayers for you from Minnesota.
Bob

Wishing you the best Steve...and I'm thinking adapt or adjust is a style you have mastered over the years of woodworking you have done. Again, wishing you the best and speediest recovery.

All~

NOTE: I have not responded yet to your posts because 1) I left my laptop charger in the hospital last Friday and 2) I wanted to send an illustrated Thank You!

Thanks so much for all of the thoughtful and kind words. One week has passed since I lost the sight in my right eye - and it has been a truly rich week. Posts, e-mails, letters, visits and calls have come from far and wide. The thought foremost in my mind, though, is how minor is my loss compared with the heavier burdens that so many carry - and that there are too many examples all around us. Truly sobering.

One collateral benefit of this "arterial occlusion" is that this old (66) body has been explored quite thoroughly by modern medical science. I am told my carotids are clean, my brain is actually "pristine", and my heart has none of the issues that can send clots into one's bloodstream. Thus, I cannot help but recall the famous question: "So, Mrs. Lincoln, aside from that, how was the play?"

More seriously, I have already begun to adjust and adapt and I must say I am curious about the next chapters. The loss was painless but it is permanent. I am driving locally and have used most of the machines in my shop and around the farm - without any foolish risks. I now have a much greater appreciation for the power of binocular vision and will be working hard to achieve the level of precision in close work that brings satisfaction. It's only been a week and I can already see progress.

As promised, I am back in my usual Frantic Fall mode - with hunting (now without a gun) and boats and decoys and other projects. This has been a spectacular Fall - and it is always easy hereabouts to stop and drink in the sights, sounds and smells - especially on clear, crisp mornings.

View attachment sm 01 Woods Hole 02 - hillside.JPG

I have hunted 3 times since I got home....

View attachment sm 01 HemSwamp 03.JPG

...and have hosted the Usual Suspects - and then some!

View attachment sm 02 Breakfast 01.JPG

Projects are many and varied - and almost always delinquent! I am currently finishing up this Stool Rack for the "100-year-old" Hudson River Duck Skiff that is in my shop right now.

View attachment sm 03 Stool Rack 01.JPG

The Flap Boards are done and installed on this South Bay Duckboat - which I had planned to deliver to the SSWA Duckboat Show. I will complete my step-by-step post on the process as I find the time.

View attachment sm 5 SSB 30 - Shock cord keepers up.JPG

I am rehabbing some Mallards and Blacks made by Joe Pendergast - of Bellport, NY. Joe was famous for his big, rugged cork birds with numerous animated postures. I have burned the paint off the bird in the foreground and re-painted his head; the body is just burned and oiled. Another post will follow....

View attachment sm 06 Pen Blacks 01.JPG

These Homer Canadas were an un-planned project - which I will explain in, yes, another post. Here they are coated, assembled and primed.

View attachment sm 07 Homer Geese 01.JPG

Several Wading Staffs/Push Poles are ready for delivery. Shown here are the upper ends of: a Model 66 Custom, a Field Grade Model 60, and 2 FG Model 120s....

View attachment sm 08 Waders 01.JPG

I made and primed these 10 Brant Silhouettes back in '18 - so had only to put finish paint on them for an Unanticipated Customer.

View attachment sm 09 Brant Sils 01.JPG

Here is my "adapter" to make the roof rack on my Forester more useful - especially for canoes and lumber.

View attachment sm 11 Roof Rack - on car from above closeup.JPG

As always, plenty more projects are "in process"....

One last topic. I have received lots of tales of gunners who one way or another lost their master eyes - and went on to become proficient or even exceptional wing shots. I will not try to shoot again this season. Instead, I will try to learn to shoot my Winchester Model 12 with my fingers and hands in all the wrong places by next season. I will begin by carrying around the farm and dry firing my worn-out (circa 1918) Model 12 before I put live rounds in my "new" (circa 1925) Perfect Repeater. In this regard, one of my gunning partners seems be viewing me as his "project" for 2020....

Thanks again for your sentiments - all the best!

SJS

Wow, nun to like that you lose vision in one eye. Almost like an eye stroke. PleAse do keep in informed as you learn more. I know you will come through this stronger and better - you?re just that kind of person.

Another positive - maybe you will shoot better.

Take care of yourself Steve

Mark

Back